AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when to add chlorine and chloramine neutralizer during water change

Registered Member
    Real Name
    James

Default when to add chlorine and chloramine neutralizer during water change

I do 80% water change every other day. Since I have to add water directly from the tap when I do the water change, when should I add chlorine and chloramine neutralizer and Stress-zyme? Do I add them while I'm adding the water or wait until after I finish adding the water? Does it matter? Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

James

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: when to add chlorine and chloramine neutralizer during water change

I add all water conditioners to the tank prior to adding any new water.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

I agree that you need to at least add the chorine depletion chemical first but my comment is doing that much water change that often is over Kill unless you are breeding the discus. Dave

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    I add all water conditioners to the tank prior to adding any new water.
    Me too .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    James

Thanks all. I've been adding the additives as soon as I turned on the faucet so it looks like I've been doing it right.

I do straight tap wcs. I add my prime directly under the end of my python, match temp at faucet then fill away
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dlbernd View Post
    I agree that you need to at least add the chorine depletion chemical first but my comment is doing that much water change that often is over Kill unless you are breeding the discus. Dave
    Some would say that is too much but some would also say that it isn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Some would say that is too much but some would also say that it isn't enough.
    I do 70% every other day, used to do it every day for growing juvis. In 2 days my Nitrates go from less than 5 to 12-15ppm. I do not think that sounds overkill if you are feeding a lot!

OP - Prime works very fast. Just add it before or right as you start adding water and you will be good to go. Have you checked if your water has a large PH swing from directly out of the faucet to aged? If not check it, you may be stressing with large PH changes and need to age your water if you want to do such large changes.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro252 View Post
    I do 70% every other day, used to do it every day for growing juvis. In 2 days my Nitrates go from less than 5 to 12-15ppm. I do not think that sounds overkill if you are feeding a lot!

OP - Prime works very fast. Just add it before or right as you start adding water and you will be good to go. Have you checked if your water has a large PH swing from directly out of the faucet to aged? If not check it, you may be stressing with large PH changes and need to age your water if you want to do such large changes.
    Correct, that was my point. We don't know tank size, stocking level, etc so he may indeed have to change that much water.

Also make sure you ad enough for the whole tank,not just the amount your changing.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill63SG View Post
    Also make sure you ad enough for the whole tank,not just the amount your changing.
    Correct I concur

Silver Member

+2
    Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Correct I concur

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro252 View Post
    Have you checked if your water has a large PH swing from directly out of the faucet to aged? If not check it, you may be stressing with large PH changes and need to age your water if you want to do such large changes.
    We did a 60% or so water change tonight with tap water. Our juveniles all started acting very stressed, turning on their sides, breathing heavily at the top, and we thought we were losing them all (10 of them). We added extra aeration, kept them swimming, and they are starting to look better after two hours of constant attention. Each time I have changed more than 20% of the water, we’ve either lossed silver dollars or fish act very weird. We normally do 10%-20% water changes, but have been unable to do a change in 3 days. We will not do more than 20% again due to a pretty good guess that rapid ph change is happening.
    Last edited by whiteheadfamily2415; 11-23-2017 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Extra word

I also do direct tap water changes and add Prime to the open end of my hose prior to connecting it to the faucet. This way I figure that the dechlor will follow the path of the new water.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteheadfamily2415 View Post
    We did a 60% or so water change tonight with tap water. Our juveniles all started acting very stressed, turning on their sides, breathing heavily at the top, and we thought we were losing them all (10 of them). We added extra aeration, kept them swimming, and they are starting to look better after two hours of constant attention. Each time I have changed more than 20% of the water, we’ve either lossed silver dollars or fish act very weird. We normally do 10%-20% water changes, but have been unable to do a change in 3 days. We will not do more than 20% again due to a pretty good guess that rapid ph change is happening.
    Aging water and doing larger changes will be much more beneficial than 20% changes, especially with juvies. 20% is not going to yield you good results
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast