AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Buying New Discus

Default Buying New Discus

Hi guys,

I am considering buying some red melon discus to add to my new tank but I am not sure if they are of good quality or not, what do you guys think? Also, do red melon discus turn red when they mature? Attached are the two discus I am considering buying.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Greg

Default Re: Buying New Discus

Whats your current set up? What are they going into, tank size, tank mates, substrate, planted, bare bottom? Those look good they are young. If you feed good food and keep good water quality with lots of water changes, they should turn out to be great. Also depends on the genetics they come from. Are you getting them from a breeder or a LFS? Wish you had a better pic of the one on the bottom. I would like to see his fin completely extended. Almost looks like it's not developed correctly, could just be the angle though. Good luck.

Hi there, thanks for replying. It is a new 90 gallon tank. Filtration is 1000L/h with additional air pump at 400L/h. Bare bottom with potted plants and some driftwood. Only have 2 bristlenose in it currently. These two fish are imported not sure genetic wise.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

In that setup you can have 7-8 discus, decent number to avoid bullyibg. 2 on their own is inadvisable and it would be best to purchase all the fish at once from the same origin rather than mixing in installments

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

In that setup you can have 7-8 discus, decent number to avoid bullyibg. 2 on their own is inadvisable and it would be best to purchase all the fish at once from the same origin rather than mixing in installments, whereby you risk introducing bacteria/parassites against which some fish have no defences.

How do I deal with the sudden increase in bioload if i purchased 7-8 discus all at once?

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

You first do a fishless cycle with ammonia (at about 4 mg/l - se the stickies about fishless cycle). This will take a few weeks, but the process cam be accelerated by the use of appropriate bacterial starters

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

You will do large daily water changes when you add a large bio-load to an existing tank. You will want to do this with anyway when raising young discus. It would be worth your time to do a bit of research before getting discus. Start in the beginners section with this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...CH-THIS-VIDEO!. Welcome to Simply
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Willie

I get concerned when I see multiple strains in the same tank. Multiple strains come from multiple farms and bringing them together is very risky. The first fish has an oversized head that will not get better with age. The second fish is better.

I encourage you, and everyone else, to buy from our sponsors. Buying from importers, etc., provides you with no recourse when problems arise.

Look for my recent post on a shipment of red fish, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I get concerned when I see multiple strains in the same tank. Multiple strains come from multiple farms and bringing them together is very risky. The first fish has an oversized head that will not get better with age. The second fish is better.

I encourage you, and everyone else, to buy from our sponsors. Buying from importers, etc., provides you with no recourse when problems arise.

Look for my recent post on a shipment of red fish, Willie
    How do you know that different strains are from different farms ?

Don't importers like Kenny import a large variety of strains from their sole supplier ?
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    How do you know that different strains are from different farms ?

Don't importers like Kenny import a large variety of strains from their sole supplier ?
    When you see multiple strains with superb quality, does it make sense that they come one farm or multiple farms? The only importer I know that has fish from only one farm is Discus Hans, because he is the exclusive supplier for Stendkers. Everyone else is likely getting fish from a broker who works with multiple farms or, in some cases, working with multiple farms directly. Even then, the importer is astute and does not mix fish from many strains together.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Phil

OP Where are you located ?

Why not order online and go direct to a sponsor here ??

I am in Australia, not sure if there is anything reputable breeders around here.

You should talk to Joe. "Two Utes"
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is