AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Wild Green Discus from Peru

Default Wild Green Discus from Peru

Ive never kept wild discus, F1's, but not wilds.
    Anyways, I have a source that lists for sale , Wild Symphysodon aequifasciatus "Green Discus" "Peru." When I look this variety up, specifying "Peru" as the collection site, the appearance is variable, but all seem to be ( in varying degrees), red-spotted. Is this typically the characteristic of this variety from this collection point or are they not always red-spotted?

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Wild Green Discus from Peru

Peruvian Discus come most from the rivers Nanay and Putuma.Peruvian greens comes from Nanay river, but originally was not discus from there. Nanay discus are originally Tefe and Putumayo discus introductions. Tefes are usually spotted but not the ones from Putumayo.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Julian

If my memory serve me well Peruvians Discus are pretty but they tend to be more washed out, in comparison to any green from the Brazilian Amazon, and of course the Tefe's with red spots, a Royal Green Tefe discus will demand some cash, coloration is amazing.
    Collection season is approaching if not start already summer Southern Hemisphere. I will recommend to you two sources right here in simply Discus Origins and Snook21, Mark and John they might even have some from last season for relative cheap.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

So, the Peruvians are typically not spotted/ Am I understanding that correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Pardal View Post
    If my memory serve me well Peruvians Discus are pretty but they tend to be more washed out, in comparison to any green from the Brazilian Amazon, and of course the Tefe's with red spots, a Royal Green Tefe discus will demand some cash, coloration is amazing.
    Collection season is approaching if not start already summer Southern Hemisphere. I will recommend to you two sources right here in simply Discus Origins and Snook21, Mark and John they might even have some from last season for relative cheap.
    Thanks for the recommendation, Ive already called these two vendors two weeks ago and left messages on email. No answer from either. Found another vendor.

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by Discluv View Post
    Not Always you can find the ones from Nanay fully spotted to none spotted.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Thanks for the recommendation, Ive already called these two vendors two weeks ago and left messages on email. No answer from either. Found another vendor.
    I understand your frustration as I have dealt with the same issues with one of the same vendors...calls...emails...no response...took weeks to get in touch finally. I suspect you are referring to the Wetspot as your "other source" that you were looking to purchase from. I bought 3 greens from them about 3 weeks ago. They vary in size from about 3.5"-6" I would guess. So far they do not show any spotting and are still a bit washed out but appear to be alert and healthy with nice thick heads and bodies. I have received some emaciated and thin wilds before from other sources that died after a month or two in captivity due to wasting away even with being medicated but I am pleased so far with my purchase from wetspot.

Real Name
    Julian

Sorry for the delay answer on this. There are Green Tefe's without red spots as well. they just look better in coloration IMO when compare to Nanay's .
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

I ended up getting a hold of John at Freshwater Tropical Online and have 5 manacapuru red discus coming next week. Thanks for the responses.

Real Name
    Julian

I ended up getting a hold of John at Freshwater Tropical Online and have 5 manacapuru red discus coming next week. Thanks for the responses.
    i thought you were getting green tefe's . Manacapuru reds are beautiful too. Don't forget to post pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Pardal View Post
    i thought you were getting green tefe's . Manacapuru reds are beautiful too. Don't forget to post pictures
    My mind is constantly distracted by the possibility of something else... isn't yours, LOL? I will post pictures.

Real Name
    Steve

DiscusOrigins just posted in their sponsor section. Going out of business with some of last years' (?) fish to sell.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

I saw that. Sure would of liked to of ordered those g. argy's. But, already got a group of g. sveni.

Its a shame no one brings in good quality Nanay Greens anymore. We used to have a sponsor many years ago that brought in some stupendous fish. He no longer does so but I fell in love with nanay greens back then.

This seller no longer sells but the web site is still up. I look at it from time to time and drool.

http://www.aquatechnics.net/discuswild_peru.htm

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images