AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm gonna move to angels

Default I think I'm gonna move to angels

Hey guys. I've gotten to where I think I'm gonna be moving to angels as my centerpiece fish. I've had my discus for coming on 3 years now. I originally bought a few bad stock when I first started out and lost 2 fairly quick.

I've gotten some from a few breeders and lost 3 of those. Kept up water changes, good food, water quality, etc. I think I got 2 that were German and mixed them with Asian. Doable, but I think I just messed up on that myself.

3 months ago I got a 2.5" cobalt locally. It was in surprisingly good shape. I raised it to nearly 4" in qt and moved it to the 125 with my 5 and 6" discus main tank.

I'm watching them eat as usual. The little guy was eating, and immediately just dove to the bottom head first and could not swim. It lost its color and turned almost white, with cloudy eyes.

I quickly moved it to the qt tank. It tried to swim, turned black, and died. Never have I seen this happen in my 20 years of keeping fish. It was perfectly fine, then dead in 10 minutes.

With that said I can't continue unfortunately to pay for these expensive but beautiful fish. The ones I have now are healthy, very thick, and seem to "know" me when I come to the tank.

But as expensive as these are, I think it's best for us to move to cheaper angels. Not always that much cheaper, but some can be just as majestic as discus imo.

I have 8 discus left and will continue to provide the best care for them I can. With that said, do we have anyone here that keep angel specific tanks? How many would be ideal for a 125? Never kept angels in such a large tank. Thanks everyone here!

Real Name
    Greg

Default Re: I think I'm gonna move to angels

post some pics of your discus tank. As far as Angels go they say 10 gallons a fish but if you have good water change routines then you can easily do 20.

Here's 2 recent photos. Only thing that worried me about lots of angels would be breeding pairs and aggression. Though if there's a lot maybe it'd not be as bad?

https://i.imgur.com/eztWdgE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/A2qjPtg.jpg

I've raised batches of angels to one year of age with <5 gallons per fish. All depends on how much water you're willing to change and what look you are going for. I think 12-16 would look good in that setup if the angels are the focus, but a scaped tank with 7 and a school of 25 green neons would also look nice. You have a lot of options with a large tank.

To stop spawning aggression, just crank the heat down. 72-74°F is fine for angels and makes them less frisky.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I think your tank looks great as is! I've kept only 7 of my fav discus in a 180 gal and they love it, and are happier than ever. Maybe 8 in the 125gal is your magic #....

image.jpgI like your taste in decor

Here's mine

Real Name
    Greg

Man thats such a gorgeous tank!!!!!!! stay the discus course mate!!!!!! that tank is next level!!!!!! you will regret angels, I don't mean to be negative i'm just saying! push through!!!!!

Real Name
    Willie

If it weren't for discus, all my tanks would have angels.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

That may not be a great setup for young discus but would look great with adult discus or angels
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

I've thought about this myself. For me it's the work involved with keeping Discus. It is a rewarding challenge but I think about how much more I could do with my 180 gallon (with less work) if I had different fish in there.

It has been a good experience keeping Discus but I look forward to trying some thing different in the near future. Not sure what I'll do with my current Discus so I guess it'll be a gradual change over to other fish, like mix in some of my desired changes in my current setup and see how this goes.

I'd almost like to sell mine at the moment but I don't care to try and ship and I live in Arkansas where I don't think too many people are keeping discus nor want to spend on them.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

The only other Discus keeper on-Island I know of took my last group when I wanted to start fresh with my current ones, besides this I could give them away to the LPS. I figured I'd wind up simply going ahead with any changes I'm thinking of such as adding other fish, substrate, etc. and seeing what happens. If some of my Discus live then great, that would be nice. I've already spent over $7k on Discus (fish alone) over the past year, expensive but the real thing is the time spent vs enjoyment I actually get. It's been nice but I'm ready to try something different now.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 12-11-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

Nothing wrong with an angel tank.

20171211_000254.jpg

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Nothing wrong with an angel tank.

20171211_000254.jpg
    Really nice, clean tank. I could have fun with this.

Real Name
    Mike

Thx, I'm keeping 16 young angels in a 72g bow. Already have 1 confirmed pair. They are all approx 7-9 months old.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast