AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm gonna move to angels

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Re: I think I'm gonna move to angels

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Thx, I'm keeping 16 young angels in a 72g bow. Already have 1 confirmed pair. They are all approx 7-9 months old.
    Interesting. What is your WC schedule? Do you need to maintain consistent water PH as we do with Discus? Obviously never kept Angels before.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    The only other Discus keeper on-Island I know of took my last group when I wanted to start fresh with my current ones, besides this I could give them away to the LPS. I figured I'd wind up simply going ahead with any changes I'm thinking of such as adding other fish, substrate, etc. and seeing what happens. If some of my Discus live then great, that would be nice. I've already spent over $7k on Discus (fish alone) over the past year, expensive but the real thing is the time spent vs enjoyment I actually get. It's been nice but I'm ready to try something different now.
    From what I have read, Discus can be kept with angel if the angels are smaller than the Discus. (I haven't tried that so maybe someone here who has can confirm). In which case you could just add Angels to your Discus tank and make the gradual change.
    Angels are a beautiful fish and while Discus are better looking, Angels are much easier to keep as they are a lot more hardy, at least in my experience keeping angels.

Registered Member

I know what you mean. My discus are big and healthy, but are boring. The only time they are active is when the lights are out. And I have turned them down to 60-70% output. They just sit there. My water is hard and not ideal for wild discus. I just feel like angels would be much more interesting. I may add a group of five koi type, not sure. First I need to get the brown algae in check. Maybe three algae eaters. Can't do anything else about it with the hard water. No rush, but I too kind of wish I had chosen angels instead.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by William1 View Post
    I know what you mean. My discus are big and healthy, but are boring. The only time they are active is when the lights are out. And I have turned them down to 60-70% output. They just sit there. My water is hard and not ideal for wild discus. I just feel like angels would be much more interesting. I may add a group of five koi type, not sure. First I need to get the brown algae in check. Maybe three algae eaters. Can't do anything else about it with the hard water. No rush, but I too kind of wish I had chosen angels instead.
    I think I'll add some angels, some cardinals, maybe some rams. Not all at once. From my past experience, all those additions pretty sure it'll impact the Discus though, I'd be really surprised if they all lived. Before I start any of this I'm waiting for my driftwood to cure to put back in. This is one thing I wanted to do before more or less moving on from my strict Discus-only tank.

RE: wish I chose angels instead: I always wondered in past what it'd be like to keep Discus, so I'm glad I did. It has been a rewarding experience. But I completely understand how you feel, they do take a lot more work than other fish and may not be as active as some other fish.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 12-13-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Hidan View Post
    From what I have read, Discus can be kept with angel if the angels are smaller than the Discus. (I haven't tried that so maybe someone here who has can confirm). In which case you could just add Angels to your Discus tank and make the gradual change.
    Angels are a beautiful fish and while Discus are better looking, Angels are much easier to keep as they are a lot more hardy, at least in my experience keeping angels.
    Thanks for posting this. I believe Angels do better in lower water temp also so I'm hoping that 80F will suit both my Discus, and Angels when I get them. My Discus are adults.

Real Name
    Mike

Interesting. What is your WC schedule? Do you need to maintain consistent water PH as we do with Discus? Obviously never kept Angels before.
    I change approx 50% 2x a week. I don't concern myself with water parameters with angels because they are no where near as particular as discus. Easy to keep and breed.

Real Name
    Mike

Some adults the size of my hand but lazy right now.
    20171214_204528.jpg

One of my proud and protective dads with his new youngn's.
    20171214_204327.jpg

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Some adults the size of my hand but lazy right now.
    20171214_204528.jpg
    Left, front: is that an Altum? I could get into these. I like the freedom to have gravel, plants (which I'm no expert in), etc. I'd have to order from a supplier in the US again though since my LPS only has a limited selection of very small Angelfish.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 12-15-2017 at 09:15 AM.

I used to raise and sell angels by the thousands. I have over 140 tanks to care for and it was a choir but I raise just about every breed I could get my hands on. My favorites were the black angels. I had 10 meridian water changers and it seemed like they were running all the time. My angels were the healthiest around and I had no trouble selling them. The thing that killed it was what the humidity was doing to my house in the winter. I want to go into Discus but right now I cannot. I lost my house a while back and renting a place that is not big enough. My tanks that I kept are in storage. So right now I'll just watch what you guys and gals are doing.

Registered Member

I think I'll add some angels, some cardinals, maybe some rams. Not all at once. From my past experience, all those additions pretty sure it'll impact the Discus though, I'd be really surprised if they all lived.
    hanks for posting this. I believe Angels do better in lower water temp also so I'm hoping that 80F will suit both my Discus, and Angels when I get them. My Discus are adults.
    Angels do fine upto 30C, but probably prefer slightly lower temps, I would suggest 28. Just start lowering your temps 1 degree at a time and the Discus should adapt to it.
    Since your Discus have not been in a community tank, they are probably not used to competing with others, but my guess is since they are fully grown, they will adapt just fine. Start with smaller angels, so the Discus still stay the bosses of the tanks.
    You could also look into Roseline barb if your looking for activity. Beautiful fish and some members have had success keeping them with Discus and Angels.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Hidan View Post
    Angels do fine upto 30C, but probably prefer slightly lower temps, I would suggest 28. Just start lowering your temps 1 degree at a time and the Discus should adapt to it.
    Since your Discus have not been in a community tank, they are probably not used to competing with others, but my guess is since they are fully grown, they will adapt just fine. Start with smaller angels, so the Discus still stay the bosses of the tanks.
    You could also look into Roseline barb if your looking for activity. Beautiful fish and some members have had success keeping them with Discus and Angels.
    Well I added six Angels (3 Blues and 3 Koi) and four GBR's three days ago. The new fish are all tiny, maybe 2" or so but getting on well and seem quite comfortable among the relatively huge Discus. No change yet in the Discus, if they make it through the next week then hoping all should be ok. It's created a nice change in my tank, has renewed my interest quite a bit.

WC: I've always done >50% daily WC and haven't missed a day since I've been keeping Discus. Pretty sure I'll continue with this so long as I still have Discus.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 12-19-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Registered Member

Sounds good. Post some pics when you have the time to take them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

If your a discus keeper then you are a picky fish keeper who likes everything prestige. This will not go away with less picky fish. You will still maintain other fish with the upmost care. I have also tried what you are and realized all fish are work if you are someone who like to keep everything pristine and perfect. My opinion is the least maintenance fish are no fish

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by CANAMONSTER View Post
    If your a discus keeper then you are a picky fish keeper who likes everything prestige. This will not go away with less picky fish. You will still maintain other fish with the upmost care. I have also tried what you are and realized all fish are work if you are someone who like to keep everything pristine and perfect. My opinion is the least maintenance fish are no fish
    lol so true. You know, I can't help but remember the time when I raised 6 Piranha inchlings when I was a teenager. All 6 grew huge in the 125gal I had them in, but I didn't change one bit of water for them, or siphon bottom/clean tank. Ever. Didn't know any better at the time. Though I did periodically scrape algae from the inside tank walls. WC apparently wasn't necessary for their survival but I shudder to think of what was below in that 4" gravel substrate in the tank.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 12-20-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

My pics are never great, can't seem to get more of the Discus with the new ones right now:

Angels with Rams.jpgDiscus with Angel.jpgAngels with Discus.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast