ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: First timer at treating fish - might be dealing with Hex

Default First timer at treating fish - might be dealing with Hex

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    One of my fish has had random fits where he seems to kind of meander around the tank, freak out, slam into walls and knock himself out (to the point where he lays on the bottom of the tank) but will right himself after a few minutes. I recorded the tank via webcam and caught this happening while I was away 5 of the 6 days I recorded.

Watching the fish closer than ever I noticed some had long clearish, segmentedish poop that would stay attached, I saw them using their bottom fins (sorry not sure what they are called) to kinda flick at it, looking like they were trying to knock it off. Suspecting it may just be from feeding bloodworms I stopped for a week, the poop stayed the same so I think it may be Hex (see pic below)

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Above covers most of it, they seem to be mostly normal other than the poop and the single fish being weird... Eyes and color look good. The one fish that darts around randomly will be very pale in the morning but colors up after an hour, unsure how normal this is. They all eat, but are lazy about it.

I see the clear stringy poo on 3 of them today, not just one...

Since I started dosing (yesterday) they have already really seemed to perk up, much more livley than normal I left the temp along (86F) and the lights are OFF

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    Currently dosing:
    1 TB epsom salt per 10 gal
    200mg Seachem Metro

Doing a 30% WC every 8-12 hours, adding back the epsom that was removed (and ONLY to make up for the fresh water added ) along with re-dosing metro - similar to the method used here that I found referenced a lot on Simply: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/spironucleus.php

Also soaking their fav food (bloodworms) in water with a scoop (125mg) metro and feeding when I re-dose metro after the WC

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    6 Domestics from Hans in a 55gal tank. Purchased at 3" back in April, now ~5.5". 1 BN pleco that has been in there for about 6 months that I bred myself.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    70% aged tap water every other day.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    BB, running since Mar 2017. Fluval 406 + Sponge filter

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Yes, I see about a half a point swing so I age.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____86F

- ph _____ 7.8

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____5-15

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

Only tap

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    1x daily a homemade shrimp/fish/beefheart mix
    1x daily Cobalt flake from an auto feeder
    2x daily frozen, some combo of mysis (Hikari), PE Pysis, and bloodworms(Hikari)

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Pic of the poo
    Pic of the paleness I see on one in the morning, and the darkness of another in the morning, right after lights come on, this will go away in an hour or so
    How they look most of the time

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    Last edited by Bizarro252; 12-09-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Default Re: First timer at treating fish - might be dealing with Hex

Things appear to be going well, they are still becoming more active - my one question is that I am still seeing 'stringy' poo - I plan to continue treatment until Sunday - that will be 9 days. Is it normal for their to continue to show signs of the clear stringy/mucasy poo through the treatment process?