AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: is it true that german discus get larger than asian breed discus?

Registered Member

Default is it true that german discus get larger than asian breed discus?

Is there any truth to that I was reading somewhere that german discus get larger than some of the Asian strains just wonder what your guys experience is with that I have seen pictures of huge stendker fish and huge fish from Kenny also. thanks

Real Name
    Zac

Default Re: is it true that german discus get larger than asian breed discus?

I dont think there is any real truth here, in fact, the biggest discus I have seen were asians. They belong to a local hobbyist and are massive discus mostly from NA discus and one from tony tan discus, a couple from Martin Ng.

Real Name
    TONY

I'm far from an expert, but I believe & have seen "MONSTERS" from both. Breeding, genetics & general husbandry all play a factor in final size of a specimen whether German or Asian. Sometimes the 'source of the info' is 'pitched' to have you favor one over the other for whatever reason. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

In Asia they have a trick to make show quality Discus into huge show quality Discus. They are fed testosterone which can result in infertility or if you're lucky, vastly lower fertility. A lot, but not all, of the huge German Discus I've seen are actually old fish.
    Mama Bear

I am no expert and just have a few strains, but I have both discus hans (3 strains) and tony tan (2 strains) and both strains I have of Asians are larger than the germans, however there does seems to be a size difference in the strains which I could see impacting the ultimate end size more - but still at least for me the Asians are larger.

Registered Member

ok thanks everyone for the reply I didn't really think there was much of a difference just something I read about before but ive seen huge discus from both

Real Name
    Willie

The fact is that older, more established strains are bigger. The newest one, which primarily come from Asia, are more inbred - thereby are smaller. So it's not European vs Asian, but traditional vs new strains.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Not true at all, my Asian Giant Flora that I raised from eggs to this size is actually close to 8" for only 2 years old. it all depends on genetic, husbandry, and food.

20171212_105043.jpg

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    Not true at all, my Asian Giant Flora that I raised from eggs to this size is actually close to 8" for only 2 years old. it all depends on genetic, husbandry, and food.

20171212_105043.jpg
    nice fish!