ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quarantine tank- to cycle or not?

Registered Member

Default Re: Quarantine tank- to cycle or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    Personally I would prefer to have a cycled QT because then the ammonia doesnt build up between wc. You can still do huge wc and get the benefit, but then even between wc the water is great. Plus like Jacklyn mentioned, if life happens and u miss a day it's Ok
    This is a useful reply, and a hobbyist will inevitably miss a WC one day. But, what about all the medicine and de-worming stuff that we are putting in the water? They will kind of kill the bacteria in the filer. How would you deal with that?

Real Name
    Willie

I use 10-gal tanks for quarantine and medication. There's a sponge filter inside. I also keep 8 more sponge filters in my pleco tank. If there's a need, I can always swap in a seeded sponge filter. Afterwards, I dry out the sponge (you can probably nuke it) to eliminate bacteria and reseed in the pleco tank.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Aj11 View Post
    This is a useful reply, and a hobbyist will inevitably miss a WC one day. But, what about all the medicine and de-worming stuff that we are putting in the water? They will kind of kill the bacteria in the filer. How would you deal with that?
    If you are only prophylactically quarantining new fish, none of the meds you throw at them should be hurting your filter bacteria. Unless the fish are showing signs of major distress, you're be better off staying away from serious antibiotics (the things that CAN hurt your filter bacteria). The "Big 3" that I use for wild fish are prazi, flubendazole, metro and occasionally copper (if and only if the fish act like they need it).

Real Name
    Filip

I prefer to keep them dry- empty and uncycled because I'm too paranoid from cross contaminating new arrivals .

When I buy new discus I insist on buying cycled sponge from the vendor along with the discus from its original tank and that way I'm instantly cycled .

If I need an instant cycle of a hospital or QT for my current set of discus , I just grab a piece of filter material from their display tank filter and instant cycle the hospital or QT for them .

Registered Member

I killed a nice marlboro red in my QT by having insufficient filtration and doing not enough water changes...I really liked him, his name was Buster. Next time around I put a cycled sponge in the QT tank and suffered no losses. Why take the risk?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12