AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Shipping idea

Real Name
    Steve

Default Shipping idea

I'm a small time hobby breeder, but I've shipped all across the country. Mostly FedEx, but also a few USPS shipments. In planning to attend this year's NADA convention, and looking into the cost of possibly bringing a fish or two, I came across Alaska Air's Known Shipper program. I applied, had to pay $100 for a site inspection (came to my house and looked at my fish room), and was approved. I understand the inspection fee can vary depending on who they contract with locally. I can ship across country to anywhere they, Virgin, and their local carriers service. A 15" cube box from Oregon to New Jersey will cost me $86. That's cheaper than their $100 "pet in the hold" fee I would pay to take it with me as a passenger, and much cheaper than FEx when I ship a box overnight. Somebody has to pick it up at the airport though, so it is limited. If I can use it for our trip and to ship a few batches of fry this year, it might pay for itself.

Default Re: Shipping idea

Airport shipping is great if you have one near you. I had a big box of loricarids shipped to me via Southwest cargo for under $60 and 10 hours of transport time. Doesn't get better than that unless it's local