ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: HITH - Metro Treatment

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

Default HITH - Metro Treatment

I have had one of my Discus in a hospital tank for two weeks now.
    Previous to this he became very dark and reclusive and was not showing any interest in food, and had white feces. After a week and a half or so of large daily water changes he did not show any improvement so I moved him to a hospital tank and in doing so I was able to get a closer look at him and did see that he had several holes around his mouth area and higher up on his head. So I began a treatment of Metroplex treating every day or every other day with 90% water changes before each treatment. The dosage I was using was 1 - 1.25 spoonful (spoon provided attached to the MetroPlex cap) and it is in a 10 gallon bare bottom tank. The holes that I noticed have not got any worse, but on the other hand it is hard to say that they have got any better. His color has returned a bit, although not as vibrant as they sued to be. I feed him shortly before I do water changes and he has not shown any interest in the food what so ever, except for tonight. I fed frozen blood worms tonight, and he has not eaten but a few times he has swam over and inspected them.
    Does anybody have any input on whether I should continue the treatment, or is he in the recovery stages and ready to go back in to the main tank?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

Default Re: HITH - Metro Treatment

I would not put it back in the main tank.

How long has the fish been on metro? Feeding fish with hex can be tough, as it inflames their throats and makes it hard to swallow. Whenever I had to deal with it, I did 10 days of metro powder at 1g per 40 gallons with 100% wc between doses. Additionally, 10 days of metro dosed pellets or frozen at 1g metro powder per 1lb food when they started eating again. A gram of metro is roughly a heaping tsp of the pure powder. I would use 2 spoonfuls of the Metroplex, as this will get you pretty close to 250ml per 10 gal.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

It has been treated with metro for 14 days now. I am not sure the measurement of the spoon that the metroplex comes with, but per instructions it says 1 scoop per 10 gal. It seems to be maybe around 1/8 tsp per scoop.

I found (on Seachem's Q&A page) that one of the provided scoops in metroplex is 125mg - BUT metroplex is only 70% pure. I am treating what I think is Hex right now as well and just got 100 grams of the pure stuff in today... I would suggest looking into keeping some of that on hand.

Dosage must be every 8hours and not once a day. I have treated my fish successfully many times with temp upto 90F and feeding only once a day plus daily 25% water changes. Dosage every 8hrs

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

Sanjay21 is that with metroplex? If so what dosage, and for how many days?

Quote Originally Posted by ripa89 View Post
    Sanjay21 is that with metroplex? If so what dosage, and for how many days?
    I got mine from ebay, I dose accordingly with the spoon they provided. Trust me and dose for every 8 hours according to the instructions on the one you have. I was given this instruction from Kenny Chung.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    I got mine from ebay, I dose accordingly with the spoon they provided. Trust me and dose for every 8 hours according to the instructions on the one you have. I was given this instruction from Kenny Chung.
    For how many days did you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by ripa89 View Post
    For how many days did you do this?
    For 7 days or longer if I continue seeing the white poop. Longer meaning upto 2 week, usually they start getting better by 7 days and starts eating, I would still leave the heat on for the full 14 days even when I stopped dosing after day 7.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post

Dosage I used (from Kenny) was 500mg/10gal, and that is with pure metro, Metroplex is only 70% pure, and the spoon is 125mg. Just wanted to note that in case there was confusion as I am sure you are referencing the same directions I was.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. In my case I have been successful dosing pure metro at 500 mg / 10 Gal once per day. No heat increase, normally 82º, doing 50% WC every day and replacing the whole dose for the size of the tank. Repeat for ten days.

It has worked for me in the past.

Real Name
    Mervin

I would keep dosing until the holes have healed,which is more like 3 weeks.Just white poop and in the gut,about 2 weeks should do.Double dosing is better,especially if it's not pure such as Seachem.