AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Does Anyone Do This?

Real Name
    Greg

Default Does Anyone Do This?

Hey everyone, So I have been doing this for a while now and was wondering if anyone else does anything like this to a spare HOB filter they might have laying around. I run an Aquaclear 110 as the main source of filtration on my 55 gallon but I also have this spare whisper 60. I thought this would be a good idea for extra Biological and mechanical filtration along with a sponge filter inside the tank. Has anyone else done this or does anyone else have custom sump type things they do with there HOB?
    IMG_7146.jpg
    IMG_7147.jpg
    IMG_7148.jpg
    IMG_7149.jpg

Default Re: Does Anyone Do This?

i've tried all types of stuff in my current sump and tanks before.
    you can see the current tank thread here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=#post1170383

thing is, i have YET to see any of the stuff i try really make much of a difference the empty sump with intake filter kept a cycle going just the same as all the extra.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: Does Anyone Do This?

I used to run a cartridge style filter on one of the tanks at work. The cartridges are such a terrible money-grab that I refuse to buy them. PLUS u throw out your BB when you change them! Worst design ever. So I ripped off all the "media" and then sewed square flat sponges on the inserts, and instead of throwing them away I would just rinse the sponges off in tank water. Worked like a charm!