ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treating for Hex and still seeing white.clear stringy poo.

Default Treating for Hex and still seeing white.clear stringy poo.

Hello everyone - full details here but I have a quick general question

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...aling-with-Hex

I have been treating 6 days with metroplex - just got in the 'good' stuff today (pure) - and dosed with that after a 60% WC at ~300mg per 10gal. I am still seeing stringy poo however, in fact 4 of the 6 fish right now have what looks like a thin clear/white thread trailing out of them. Not nearly as large and segmented looking as it did before treatment...

I am wondering if it is 'normal' to see this during treatment? Mostly worried that the metroplex I was dosing (about 200mg per 10 gal... 10 of the scoops into a 55gal tank...which is really like 47 gal of water...) was not strong enough and I may have to only consider the time of treatment with this new, pure stuff.... uhhhhgggg First timer here treating fish so I am a bit paniced....

I am also dosing 1 tablespoon of epsom salt per 10 gal and have been for 4 days now.

They are eating, very slowly... but eating.

Thanks

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Treating for Hex and still seeing white.clear stringy poo.

Hi Bizarro252, the recommended daily treatment for pure metro is 500mg per 10 gallons after a large daily water change for a 10 to 12 day treatment. You treat for the volume of water in the tank vs the volume of water you replaced. You might be able to calculate how much is in 10 scoops plus factor in the percentage of metro in metroplex.

It does sound like the metroplex is having an effect. I think you should switch to the "good stuff" and continue the treatment for another 5 to 7 days. Still seeing white/clear poop is not unusual. I would also suggest raising the temp to about 88/90 and leave it there until the fish are eating well and pooping dark. The elevated temp would continue even if you stopped the metro treatment after 5 or 7 days. I do think your two threads should be merged so all the info is in one place.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks Pat - I have read allllll sorts of conflicting dosing information, from the packaging (the lowest at 125mg/10 gal) to 500mg per 10 gal from folks like you and Kenny. Whew - so many answers haha. I ended up going with ~340 (after accounting for true volume of the tank, not 55gal) of the new 'good' pure stuff per 10 gal. Right in the middle of the road.

Here are some pics from this AM, as you can see very long strings... They sure seem to have perked up though.

IMG_20171214_080100.jpg
    IMG_20171214_080121.jpg
    IMG_20171214_080052_1.jpg

Well - 48 hours after concluding the dosage the Marlboro still has record setting stringy poo. I was fortunate enough to get in contact with Kenny and this doesnt sound 'normal' - maybe a little but nothing like this (see a pic from today below) - SO - going with his recommended regimen - 92F and 500mg Metro per 10 gal. I should be able to swing dosing every 8-10 hours so will plan on 3-5 days.

IMG_20171219_193919.jpg

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I recently had to treat angels for Hex. It wasn't until day 12 that the fish began eating and acting normal again. 500 mg. per day, 90% water change daily and temp of 88. Good luck with yours.

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Mervin

yeah.Much longer than 5 days.My container says up to 3 weeks,but I had luck with 14 days in the past.Plus dose higher than the container says,like mentioned.

I was shooting for 5 days due to already dosing them for 9 days (the first 4 of those I was on a much lower dose, using Seachem Metroplex, so about 150mg/10 gal) then I got pure stuff and dosed at 300mg/10 gal for 5 days at 88F - saw the continued stringy poop and started dosing again about 36 hours after I stopped - this time at 500mg/10gal and at 92F.

Kenny's directions state 5-7 days if you are dosing every 8 hours at 500mg/10gal, I am not hitting that - I am hitting every 12 hours... so I guess I maybe should do 7 days - just a little weary since they were being dosed (at a lower dose but still) for 9 days prior before I started actually dosing them at this level.

Uhg - complicated... I am on their 4th dose at 500mg/10gal this AM and still seeing stringy poo, only out of one, the same one from before. Others poo looks normal. All had stringy poo before I started treatment so perhaps the one just has it worse than the others.

Real Name
    Julian

Metronidazole is relative safe , so the time duration doesn't have to be strictly , one can extend a little longer with reason, until start eating , black poop is observe .
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

All but one seem to be better Come on Marlboro - you can do it!!

Sorry to hear you are dealing with hexamita, Bizarro. It sounds like they are on the mend though!

Thank you Discluv and Pardal. Good news is I got a nice Christmas present The Marlboro (the last one that was not eating and have the stringy poop for the longest) started eating, this morning he came right up to the surface with the others and started eating right when I put the food in the water - WHEW!

I got 3X doses per day (every 8 hours) Sunday and Monday since I had the time. I dosed again this AM and plan to again tonight as well as see what Kenny says on if I should stop or continue. I am assuming like any antibotic you want to keep going for at least a bit once they look well.

Overall here was the history of the dosing...

12/9 - 12/12
    2X daily of Seachem MetroPlex 2 scoops (125mg each, 70% pure) per 10 gal at 86F. 30% WC before each dose.
    Noticed about half start improving

12/13 - 12/17
    2X per day of pure Metro at 300mg/10 gal @88F 30% WC before each dose.
    All but one improved, after stopping the Marlboro stopped eating and the stringy poop came back overnight.

12/19 - Now
    Talked with Kenny and began dosing at his recommended rates/temp
    Every 8-12 hours 500mg/10gal @92F 30% WC before each dose.

12/24 Marlboro started eating again, still stringy poop.
    12/25 Marlboro eating better (out of the water column vs off the bottom only), not stringy poop, but 'long/thin' vs the pellets the others are doing.. but its now dark, not white/clear.

I just dealt with a stubborn Hex outbreak. It took a pretty strong dosing for about 10 days to knock it back.
    If you start reading around there are some mentions of HEX becoming more and more stubborn in the hobby.
    I have no real data to report on this but it has been mentioned.

Sure seems accurate to me - double dose didnt touch it in the one fish, the others got better though, 500mg seems to finally be knocking it down. The pure Metro I got from Everything Aquatic lists the max dose (for stubborn cases) at 1tsp per 20gal, which would be ~1800mg/10 gal I think - whew...hope I dont need to go that high!

Update:
    Did 7 days of 2-3 doses per day (every 8 or 12 hours depending on what I could manage), the one fish that still had the stringy white/clear poo started turning out dark poos day 5, he started eating again that same day.

He is still eating very well - dealing with one last issue which is a different one that has swollen gills on his left side. I gave them a couple days after the Metro was done to relax and started prazipro today just incase he has flukes causing that, if not its probably not that bad of an idea to hit them with some prazi after the hex treatment anyways (at least IMO) to ensure if they also had worms, etc I get those too...

Will post a video of the gills, the very tips of them are whitish and just appear swollen, to the point that side doesnt close all the way...

I want to keep up daily water changes to keep quality up, prazipro says to leave it in for 5-7 days - just want to double check there is no reason I cant do water changes and replace the prazi dose that corresponds to the water I changed - right?!

Thanks!

Vid:
    https://vimeo.com/249196394

Pic:
    IMG_20171226_185500_2.jpg

Real Name
    Willie

Metro has ALWAYS worked for me as long as the treatment regimen is followed clearly. The key is to give your discus some time to recover after treatment. The disease causes inflammation of the intestine, so it's common for fish not to resume eating even after they're "cured". I would recommend a rest interval (at least a week?) before treating for something else.

As for Prazi, it has NEVER worked for me. Fortunately, adult discus tend to handle gill flukes well. The only problem I've ran into is gill flukes in the fry. I've had a breeding pair in Prazi (and Prazi Pro) while they spawned, kept the dosage up while the spawn hatches into wrigglers. Still, the fry developed gill flukes!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast