ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Treating for Hex and still seeing white.clear stringy poo.

Default Re: Treating for Hex and still seeing white.clear stringy poo.

It's good to see things finally turning around Matt. I know that was tough on you especially after watching your one fish die from the probable Whirling Disease.

It is really odd to me because from the very start you have always been meticulous about your water and general care of all of your fish. It is very impressive to see your dedication to doing things properly and you really went all out seeking out the correct help and medications to get them on the mend. It just goes to show you that anyone can get hit with an illness at any time. No one is immune.

Finally turning things around...Nicely done Matt. Hope the gill clears up now and you can just enjoy them.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Thank you Jenene! At least I have someone to vouch for me not being one of those folks who does monthly WCs and wonders why their fish are always sick! I set out to do this thing right!

Willie,
    Good to know - Metro did work for me, but not until I actually went up to the 500mg per 10 gal. I was basically doubling the dose on the package before that and it still didn't touch it. I think 500mg is an excellent suggestion now having seen it work, and less of a dose fail to work on all of the Discus (4 of 5 did get better on 300mg/10 gal). The metro I got from 'Everything Aquatic', which says it is pure, also stated that for 'stubborn' cases you can dose up to 1tsp per 20 gal, which would be 1,550mg/10 gal! So apparently its pretty safe stuff.

On the Prazi - Kenny took a gander at my picture and vid of the gill and thinks its not anything to do with flukes, but just a flared gill that he likely always had or was just inflamed from irritation (maybe the meds, unsure..) I will keep an eye on it but since I am already half through my dose of prazi I will just finish it off. If I dont notice any difference in a week or so I will probably not do a follow up dose since it likely was not doing anything. Who knows tho, maybe they have a worm that I am treating without knowing it - luckily Prazi is also safe.

How does that happen with your fry? ***! I mean, where do they even come from? Are they getting it from the parents/tank and it just hits them harder because they are so small?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Matt, I would suggest no meds for now and see if a couple weeks of clean water will help to mend those gills. Take a watch and see approach.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Matt, I would suggest no meds for now and see if a couple weeks of clean water will help to mend those gills. Take a watch and see approach.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat - That is the plan (once I finish the Prazi treatment, already on day 4 so just going to finish it out) I was more concerned about the white tips than the swelling - no changes so far so I think I just noticed it more from observing so closely, I know his gill cover on that side never really fully closed flat - maybe it looked like this forever and I just stared at it to long...

So can you run cannister or other normal filtration systems with the metro treatments?

I've have treated mostly with sponge filters but I would be comfortable treating my display tank with a canister. I do run the old Magnum 250's with the micron filter on most of my tanks. I always take out the micron cartridge if I have to treat a tank with any medication. If you're concerned about metro harming your biological filtration, it does not.
    Mama Bear

Thank you for the info!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12