ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for aging barrels?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rachael

Default What do you use for aging barrels?

Trying to prep for my first discus tank. I’ve always been the "work smarter not harder" person, and considering the water maintenance required and the tap water at my house, aging is gonna be the way to go. I have a 75G so will need something to accommodate 35-50G. I don’t care for the idea of having 10 -5g buckets around, and I can use the older heater I have for an aging barrel. So question is...what do you guys use for aging barrels? I saw a pic of someone online that had like jugs, but I’ve never seen anything like them before that can be purchased individually, and he was located in the UK I believe, so may have access to different options. Research has shown me that the aging barrel in combination with a pump is my best bet. What is your thoughts? Thanks for the tips

Rachael - Kansas

Default Re: What do you use for aging barrels?

You have a lot of options depending on how much you want to spend.

Cheapest option is a 44 gallon Brute trashcan from one of the big name hardware stores. They are food safe and probably the most popular option. The 55 gallon isn't worth it, too large an increase in cost compared to the 44.

Next up are 55 gallon poly drums. Cheapest is to find them locally at a local farm or container store. Just make sure they are food safe. I've never had issues with used ones but some have. Rinse them well, bleach if necessary. Open top>close top. These are a good value if you have nothing locally: https://www.bayteccontainers.com/pla...nditioned.html

Finally, there are the needlessly expensive yet pleasant to the eye Norwesco and Ace Roto Mold tanks. These are extremely sturdy and can be plumbed to not be a complete eye sore like the trashcans and drums. Sizes range from 15 to xxxxx gallons, but something like the 65 gallon would be good for your application. Always nice to have the capacity to do a 90% or larger water change.

250 or 300 watt heater is fine, it won't melt the plastic as long as there is water.

Make sure the pump can handle decent head pressure and move a good bit of water. A Mag Drive 9.5 is a good place to start, but I'm sure there are better options.

Real Name
    Ryan

Food grade 85g water barrels @$25ea here
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Real Name
    Willie

I use fish tanks! I have two racks of tanks. Top row has discus, bottom row is used just to condition water. This way, I always have enough water for 100% water changes.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Ryno View Post
    Food grade 85g water barrels @$25ea here
    Link did not work... can you try again?

Real Name
    Ryan

I meant here in KC. Fingers accidently hit send before i was done. Theres a guy called Willie the barrel guy. Found him on craigslist.

Ibc
    Over 50 years in fish and it still feels brand new!! Woodduck

Real Name
    Ralph

I'm like Willi...use tanks right now but would like a couple of stacked 275g square caged storage bins if I was able to get them through a 34" wide door frame.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

barrels.JPG

Picked these up off craigs list for peanuts. They were used by a fire chief in the back of his pickup.

Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    I'm like Willi...use tanks right now but would like a couple of stacked 275g square caged storage bins if I was able to get them through a 34" wide door frame.

...Ralph
    Same danged issue for me. Darned door measurements. I did recently find 350g & 700g cylinderical water storage containers. I asked for measurements on them. If they fit in the door ill link them. Look skinny and tall. The 350g ones look like theyd fit perfect in the water room.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brett

Anyone try rolling trash cans? Lowes has a 96 gallon rolling can with a lid. If I use Brute I’d need 2 of them.
    https://m.lowes.com/pd/Toter-96-Gall...h-Lid/50439006

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I use this 150gal water barrel for my home aquarium. It was expensive, but the aquarium is 180gal so I didn't want multiple smaller containers in the basement for a single water change. It fits thru doorways. I attached a pump to the opening at the base. IMG_1412.jpg

For a 55gal I take care of elsewhere, I use this 35gal brute can on wheels (wheeled base sold separately) from Home Depot. It was much cheaper and is prob what u r looking for. I just wheel it next to the tank and lay a cheap pump inside with a hose draped into the tank when refilling.

IMG_1413.jpg

Registered Member

Does anyone filter their tap water? I have a 45 brute can that i have a HOB filter filled with polyfil foam, a heater and air stones. Youd be surprised what a new peice of foam will look like after a day or so of filtering.

You will get even better results with a 5 to 20 micron sediment filter meant for whole home water filtration. I don't bother anymore, but it does trap a lot of stuff.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brett

I like that 150 Kyla. I might have to look into that. Thanks for the pic! Assuming that is a black cap on top to access inside?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast