AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Composting Worms

Default Composting Worms

This has me thinking... Would this work to keep a population of these going, feed them scraps, and use them a few times a week for feeding? My main concern would be diseases, followed by the 'benefit' of the compost these guys make is advertised as high in phosphates, which means I could be adding that to the water and increase algae. Just looking for thoughts as 1,000 of these are cheap...

https://unclejimswormfarm.com/produc...ting-worm-mix/

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Default Re: Composting Worms

There a lot of possible pathogen in a compost bin plus the fact that you are going to feed your precious fish a food that is produced in an uncontrolled environment .
    I think the pluses are worth the risks.

Real Name
    Mervin

I used to feed my wilds red wigglers and they loved them.They are also great for those older discus that take some time to adjust to their new environments.Discus require big water changes and therefore the phosphates would not be an issue.You can raise your own by keeping them in a bin with table scrapes and news paper.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I have maintained my own bin of red wigglers for years. Since the worms are not aquatic not a lot of chance of the worms passing something on to the fish. Only feed the small worms and rinse them before adding to the tank. The fish love them.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening