ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Just got my first unconfirmed pair of Discus, Video included, lots of questions also!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Damien

Red face Just got my first unconfirmed pair of Discus, Video included, lots of questions also!

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=1452164

Hey all, ok today i got my first pair of Discus from Aquatico in Melbourne. they look healthy but im still thinking about worming them with blue planets fluke and tapeworm tablets as iv heard there has been cases of worms from this shop. I just want to be safe then sorry.

i have alot more questions but firstly whats everyone think of my Discus and what kind do use all call them?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Just got my first unconfirmed pair of Discus, Video included, lots of questions a

Hi Damothompson, first welcome to Simply. Your video link does not work. It wants you to install stuff. I would suggest you upload your video to Youtube and share it from there. Look forward to seeing your discus.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Damien

Default Re: Just got my first unconfirmed pair of Discus, Video included, lots of questions a

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Damothompson, first welcome to Simply. Your video link does not work. It wants you to install stuff. I would suggest you upload your video to Youtube and share it from there. Look forward to seeing your discus.
    Pat
    cheers, here the video is: for some reason its converted it to very low qaulity:

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Damien

some pics one of each of them:

Attachment 113584

image2.jpeg
    Last edited by Damothompson; 12-17-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: edit pics

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Damien

OK questions.... firstly should i give them a settle in period or am i rite to worm them now? and is it suggested that i do worm them comming from a source known for them?
    iv been told i can use metroplex and a wormer together is this correct? if so what does the metro provide to the treatment? i have blueplanet tapeworm and flukeworm tablets, would it be safe to mix metroplex with the blueplanet worming med? i want to make sure these fish are disease free basically.

are these lines in the middle of my discus on the sides normal?

25348577_316452308854262_706834198438739297_n.jpg

25348460_316452322187594_6501835644081468855_n.jpg
    Last edited by Damothompson; 12-17-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: edit

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Give them several weeks to settle in. You want them to be settled and eating well before medicating. While you can mix meds I suggest you don't. It's harder on the fish plus give them a resting period between meds. I gather you are from Australia so suggest you PM Joe whom is also from Australia concerning worming meds available in your area. Here's is Joe's member profile http://forum.simplydiscus.com/member.php?15026-two-utes.

The line along the side of the fish is called a literal line. It is normal.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Damien

cheers thanks alot mate.

How does everyone age there water here? Is filling up a drum of tap water and leaving it sit for a day good enough?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

You want to aerate it with an airstone so that you are gassing off anything in the water. Measure your ph out of the tap and then after aerating for 24hrs. Those values will be helpful to know as you progresss.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Damien

Quote Originally Posted by LJSmith View Post
    You want to aerate it with an airstone so that you are gassing off anything in the water. Measure your ph out of the tap and then after aerating for 24hrs. Those values will be helpful to know as you progresss.
    ok thanks alot.

Registered Member

You'll also want to find out if your local water uses free-chlorine or chloramine to sanitize its water. You can call them to find out if the information is not available on their website.

The former will gas off in 24 hours. The latter will take more time, and is best removed with something like Seachem Prime.