AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sturdiest heater

Real Name
    Steve

Default Sturdiest heater

I need to buy some heaters for my aging barrels. I was using my old Aqueon Pros (solid black casing) until they gave out one by one, and ended up using some of my Eheims (glass). I want to save them and use something less breakable. Looking for suggestions.
    Steve
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 12-18-2017 at 04:39 PM.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Silver Member

Default Re: Sturdiest heater

All i use are Aqueon pros for the heaters in my tanks and aging barrels. I have 6 running now. if you still have them, call their customer service to get free replacements. i've only replaced 2 in 5 years of using them

Real Name
    Naz

I use a Fluval E200 Advanced Electronic Heater. I like it as it is encased. My last heater over heated and slightly melted the barrel not enough to leak. Do not use the barrel anymore as there is an in-print of the heater shape in my aging barrel
    .Fluval-A773-E200-Heater-250L-65gal-A-International.jpg
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Aqueon Pros are all I use here. Other than that, titanium heaters with controllers are pretty sturdy and come in high wattage if you need to heat a lot of water.

I was recently considering of using one of these with a controller -IMG_2710.jpg

Does anyone here use these ? or think of any cons using these. I feel aquarium heaters are not designed to frequently heat barrel water from low temperature to higher temperatures.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    I use a Fluval E200 Advanced Electronic Heater. I like it as it is encased. My last heater over heated and slightly melted the barrel not enough to leak. Do not use the barrel anymore as there is an in-print of the heater shape in my aging barrel
    .Fluval-A773-E200-Heater-250L-65gal-A-International.jpg
    I have not had good luck with these heaters. I have found over time that even the 200w can barely heat a 20 gallon tank. But that is just my own personal experience
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    I have not had good luck with these heaters. I have found over time that even the 200w can barely heat a 20 gallon tank. But that is just my own personal experience
    I have a 200W and 300W and had to remove the plastic guard for them to heat properly. My aging barrel has 4 Aqueon Pros, the 200W Fluval E, and one original Ebo Jager. I don't use them all unless I need to heat water up really fast. The Fluval E is my favorite heater.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    I had an e300 and an aqueon pro 250 both stopped working a little after a year.

I think the sturdiest heater I had was a finnex titanium.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Ryan

You can get your aqueon pros replaced. They have a lifetime warranty. No fuss returns & exchanges at most stores that carry them. I use them solely for that purpose.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks folks. The Pros it is.

Real Name
    TONY

Dependable - EHEIM. My current ones have been operating thru a JEHMCO controller for 4-5 years w/ no issues.
    Unbreakable - Titanium Submersible Heater. Operate thru same or similar controller w/ no worries. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Tony. I went and looked at the titanium ones at Jehmco. I may consider that. I like the Eheims in my tanks, but I move them around too much between my aging barrels and have already lost one to breakage.

Real Name
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by tonytheboss1 View Post
    Dependable - EHEIM. My current ones have been operating thru a JEHMCO controller for 4-5 years w/ no issues.
    Unbreakable - Titanium Submersible Heater. Operate thru same or similar controller w/ no worries. "T"
    +1 EHEIM Jagger more for the buck especially if you have a few tanks, I do have a Fluval as above for my display tank, love the color code digital thermometer.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Real Name
    Willie

Five years ago, Aqueon Pros had a manufacturer's recall because they exploded. I had one go in a 38 Gal Oceanic. Fortunately, the thick glass walls prevented a disaster, although it did wipe out a colony of sterbais. Aqueon started replacing these with no receipts required and the newer model no longer has this flaw.

But these would be perfect for a storage drum!
    At my age, everything is irritating.

If you circulate water between your aging barrels, you'll find nothing better than a hydor flow-through heater. I have had years and years of dependable service from mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast