ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sick Discus please help

Registered Member

Default Sick Discus please help

DISEASEQUESTIONNAIRE*

Problem

1. The problem I noticed first was a split fin. Started treating and the infection got worse by day 2. The Infection is spreading fast even tho I have been medicating. He is now head down on the floor tail up towards the top and just breathing and slightly moving around. I am not sure what to do the other discus is not infected but still s
    Treating.

2. Symptoms (it started 2 days ago the one discus fins were clamped and was hiding a lot but was still eating with no issues. I saw that he clipped a part of his back fin so I started to treat for fin rot. The next day I woke up to go to work and he was hiding in the corner of the tank laying on his side and they was a huge white patch growing on the bottom of him. I moved him into my sick tank and started using the .education listed below. But the infection. Has cotton worse and looks like it is spreading really fast. He is now with his head down on the bottom of the tank still kind of swimming from time to time but not much. Will not eat and skin is starting to turn white around his belly now it's just been two days. Checked the main tank and all other fish are fine showing no signs of sickness all water parrametors are ready ok.

3. I'm using api furan-2 and melafix. I moved the discus to my o
    29 gallon sick tank with 2 sponge filters. I did a 50 percent water change then added medicine and a bottle of bacteria to the tank.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    65 gallon. 2 large blue discus about 5 to 6". Has 4 rainbow fish small, 5 small gold seavrums, 12 otos, 5 angel fish 3 adults 2 mediums.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    35 percent every 4 to 5 days.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Tank has been running for a year has a live planted sub
    straight. Heavily planted with co2 system.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    No my tap water is very soft has a ph of 6.7

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ____85_

- ph ____6.5_*

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading ___0_

- nitrate reading ___0_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ___100%_

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    3 small rainbow fish.

10. I feed my fish a mix of foods once a day. I feed blood worms, mice strip, flakes or pelts.

11. Will not allow me to add pictures keeps saying error. Sorry.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Sick Discus please help

I see a few issues here for a discus tank.1st the tank is way over stocked.I would take out the discus and the severums if it was my tank;maybe leave in two severums.Your tank parameters are off;nitrates should not be zero even in a high tech tank,which I assume you have because of the CO2.Of course your also adding ferts to make it a high tech.With that percentage a WC your leaving a lot of **** behind.You'll also need to clean the substrate if your keeping discus,due to all the anaerobic bacteria in the substrate;discus are prone to Hex.Thus poor water quality (for discus).The other fish in your tank will live just fine with your WC schedule,but things are different for the discus;they'll need more frequent and larger WC's.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Sick Discus please help

Hi Rick, you need to be doing large daily water changes in the QT. Add salt to help the furan-2 be more effective. Can you measure your parameters in the QT? Guessing it has measurable ammonia and nitrite.

Reduce your filesize to 2MB to upload your pictures.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening