AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sump Beginner help, please.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Default Sump Beginner help, please.

Hi,

My name is César (pronounced in whatever native tongue you speak or choose). Anyway, I just purchased a 75 gallon tank for my home, but that has not arrived. I have planned to use a sump to filter the tank, but have never done that before. I purchased an ESHOPPS pf-800 HOB Overflow box to do the job.
    Ok, so now the story takes a turn. I am setting up a 55 gallon tank at work (teaching labs) and I wanted to use a sump filtration system on it. My 75 gallon has yet to be delivered and that might not get delivered until after the holidays. Therefore, I was thinking of using the overflow box on the 55. Attached is a picture of the sump that I have. I got this on ebay about a year ago.
    My question is (are),

Is this sump compatible with the overflow box?
    What return pump should I get?
    Or is that overflow box overkill for that tank?
    Finally, how do I plumb the return?

I know this forum is about Discus, but my future 75 might be used for Discus. I consider the sump system on the 55 gallon a practice run on sumps for me. Any and all help is greatly appreciated because for some reason I cannot get my head around the problem.

César
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Sump Beginner help, please.

Overflow is fine for the sump. The important thing is sizing a pump to match the flow rate of the overflows capability

I would also recommend switching your poret foam around. You would want coarse first and the finer after

10/20/30 not 30/20/10

Will you be using filter socks?
    Last edited by Ryan925; 12-19-2017 at 08:26 PM.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Hi César,

^ switch the order of the Poret. Dr. Tanner recommends not using things like filter floss or filter socks so the foam can "eat." He also recommends a filter flow rate of 4x-5x turnover and to add more flow with powerheads if necessary.

Sorry to say this, but that overflow box looks suboptimal. Hang-on boxes are already a bit of a risk, but a single drain hang-on has two points of failure in series. You'd be a lot safer finding a box that has at least 2 drains (Herbie) and preferably 3 (Bean Animal). If you are set on using that box, look into a Durso or Stockman standpipe.

Concerning return pumps, I like Danner Mag Drive pumps. They are a bit outdated and use more power/make more noise than some of the newer stuff, but they are extremely reliable. Replacement impellers and other parts are also easy to purchase. Haven't tried these yet, but Sicce Syncra pumps look like potential upgrades to the Mag Drives. Supposedly quieter and definitely use less power.

To plumb the return, just use PVC pipe and fittings. Attach the pipe to the pump with two barb fittings and silicone or braided vinyl tubing. Use 3 elbows, 2 to make the "n" shape that goes up and over the side of the tank and the third one to direct the flow into the tank. Make sure to either drill a small hole below the water line or use a check valve so the return doesn't start siphoning if the power goes out. Looks like this http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...ODcxOQ==/?ref=

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Hi César,

^ switch the order of the Poret. Dr. Tanner recommends not using things like filter floss or filter socks so the foam can "eat." He also recommends a filter flow rate of 4x-5x turnover and to add more flow with powerheads if necessary.

Sorry to say this, but that overflow box looks suboptimal. Hang-on boxes are already a bit of a risk, but a single drain hang-on has two points of failure in series. You'd be a lot safer finding a box that has at least 2 drains (Herbie) and preferably 3 (Bean Animal). If you are set on using that box, look into a Durso or Stockman standpipe.

Concerning return pumps, I like Danner Mag Drive pumps. They are a bit outdated and use more power/make more noise than some of the newer stuff, but they are extremely reliable. Replacement impellers and other parts are also easy to purchase. Haven't tried these yet, but Sicce Syncra pumps look like potential upgrades to the Mag Drives. Supposedly quieter and definitely use less power.

To plumb the return, just use PVC pipe and fittings. Attach the pipe to the pump with two barb fittings and silicone or braided vinyl tubing. Use 3 elbows, 2 to make the "n" shape that goes up and over the side of the tank and the third one to direct the flow into the tank. Make sure to either drill a small hole below the water line or use a check valve so the return doesn't start siphoning if the power goes out. Looks like this http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...ODcxOQ==/?ref=
    +1 the pf1200 would be a better choice so that you can go herbie as stated above.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

If you want to use an an overflow box, tank not drilled, I highly recommend an LifeReef overflow. I been using one on my 125G discus tank for over three yrs now and never an siphon break. Cost a little more than other overflow boxes, but well worth the extra cist in the long run; "no floods". You can also contact them and they assist you on the proper pump and return to use. https://youtu.be/wR4w-uvOAUo

Registered Member

I have a Danner as well. Very good pump. I use a silicone hot pad under it to dampen any noise. Also, if you are going this route, use a gate valve on the return to precisely tune the flow rate. Ball valves are a pain and tend to seize up over time. Also, invest in a check valve on the return as well. Avoid 90* elbows as much as you can as they reduce head pressure. And use true union joints as much as possible to make it easier to service and maintain. A more expensive option is a DC pump, they are quieter, more efficient, and have variable flow rates. Youtube is a great resource for setting up your sump.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

THank you all for the great advice. I will take some time to digest the info.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Hi all,

Just an update. I used the Eshopps 800 for the 55 gallon tank. I ended up using a vinyl tube to make a second siphon u-tube. In that way I was able to keep up with the lowest setting on my pump (no idea what power the pump has as it is second hand and no legible writing on it). Thanks for all the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tindomul View Post
    Hi all,

Just an update. I used the Eshopps 800 for the 55 gallon tank. I ended up using a vinyl tube to make a second siphon u-tube. In that way I was able to keep up with the lowest setting on my pump (no idea what power the pump has as it is second hand and no legible writing on it). Thanks for all the help!
    That tube looks kinda kinked to me? If I'm not mistaken I believe I read that the newer models of the eshopps that originally had 2 tubes they changed to 1

You can always use a ball valve on your return to adjust flow if your pump isn't adjustable

Keep in mind running a single drain overflow you don't have a backup emergency drain in case of a problem

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

The vinyl tube is a little flattened but it is doing its job. Since it is not rigid the vacuum created by the suction causes it to collapse on itself, but trust me, it is doubling the amount of water going out of the tank. Some day soon I will get a ball valve, but for now I don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindomul View Post
    The vinyl tube is a little flattened but it is doing its job. Since it is not rigid the vacuum created by the suction causes it to collapse on itself, but trust me, it is doubling the amount of water going out of the tank. Some day soon I will get a ball valve, but for now I don't need it.
    If it's working then I'd say it's a win lol.

On another note I believe you can buy additional u pipes from eshopps as well if that one does not hold up