ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mom Seeking Answers to MANY questions....are we in over our head?

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Mom Seeking Answers to MANY questions....are we in over our head?

Does your son have a way of earning money? If so my biggest piece of advice would be to save save and go with 5” fish if possible. I know the lore of hans and I feel the same as your son but you will thank us later when he’s happy and his fish are healthy. 3” fish are still fragile and growing and with your time constraints and water change ability you may face issues and will spend more time in the disease forum or watching fish wasting away then enjoying them.

I don’t want to scare you but small discus need a lot of care feedings and water changes to grow or you end up with weird looking fish or sick fish.

The ph test is a must. Please post your results here and we can help you.

That sponge looks decent and could be ok. An aqua clear would be a wise investment.

Do you have the ability or a way/place to age water if need be!

Again. Save save save. Or maybe help him? Front him a years worth of birthday or Xmas presents for his passion? Let him earn it by helping you? I’d hate to see him plink town $200 on some juviss to have it go wrong and see him bail.

Registered Member

How big would you buy your discus? 4" is to much money to buy. would 2 3" discus be ok to start off with. then buy more 3" discus in April. Is one 4" ok to get ? I know more then one discus. just it's so expensive. Is there any coupon codes for discus Hans. ---from Discustip

Registered Member

I also can get 3 2.5" discus. but how Many water changes will that be a day? I'm now at $155.this is Discustip.

Registered Member

Hey Discustip...It's Mom! Let's stop posting, please! You need to do this right and take your time. Listen and understand what these people are telling you. TAKE YOUR TIME....EARN more money by hard work and buy the BIGGEST discus you can right from the start! Start reading posts from other boards, learn more and be patient! It is FUN to learn all the right things about these fish...you'll be an expert in no time!

You got this, kiddo! You can do this right!!! (I won't let you fail at this!) Love you, Buddy!

Real Name
    Phil

You have a great mom Listen to her !

You want at least 5 discus and get them all at once. You can do 6-7 discus but adding at different times is not a good idea.

Minimum I’d recommend is 4” and you want them all the same size.

Save your money and work hard. It will be worth it in the end.

I’ve seen far too many experienced aquarists fail miserably with 2-3” fish.

You are also not factoring in the cost to grow them. Besides your time. They need a ton more food which isn’t free. Do the math and you will see why I am saying what I am.

Here is my experience with Discus from Hans at size 2"

Water Changes: I started growing them(6 discus) out in 60 gallon tank with daily 40% water change and one big water change over the weekend.

Filtration: Two individual sponge filters and Aqua clear HOB filter.

Aging the water: No, I use straight tap water (but aging is definitely helpful)

Feeding: I feed 5 - 6 times a day. Beef Heart (twice), Tetra Bits(once), Flake food (once) and FDBW (once)

My water Ph: 7.6 ( Like everyone mentioned I will not alter the ph with chemicals)

Number of Discus to buy: If you ware planning to add 2"-3" discus. Minimum group is 5, this will make them secure.

Tank: Bare bottom tank is the best. Yes, you can have some fake plants and wood if you like.

Please do not be scared that everyone is suggesting you to go with larger Discus. They are only trying to make it easy for you. Do the above schedules like I did with smaller ones and your son will have great time watching them grow. Smaller Discus needs more care than bigger ones, but 30mins a day for water changes shouldn't be too hard I hope

Biggest tip: Buy all the fish at the same time.

Real Name
    Phil

Sanjay - while sound advice. I believe the issue is that they were only hoping or able to do 30% changes every few days

Which would not bode well for your template

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Sanjay21 is right, our concern is coming from a place of fear that you won't be successful with smaller fish. I tried it, and failed, because I did not do things right. I had substrate in the tank and I slacked on water changes and it was a rough go... water changes every day is easy to commit to in theory, but life can get in the way, and skipping days or slacking on the maintenance even for a little while can be costly :/

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Sanjay - while sound advice. I believe the issue is that they were only hoping or able to do 30% changes every few days

Which would not bode well for your template
    Sorry, I might have missed that line.

With 30% water change every few days, I do not recommend Discus that small..

Real Name
    Phil

Let’s see their ph test. Maybe they will get lucky and be able to use prime treated tap. Hook up a python and let the fresh water flow

If that’s the case with a basic B.B. set up as they have they could be diligent and try the smaller guys

Real Name
    Brian

I ordered some Santarums from Hans. They are a more traditional wild type in appearance and were some of my all time favorites!

I would not recommend buying from a retail outlet that is not dedicated to discus.

Maybe I missed something in this thread, but please do not buy Angel Fish (or any other fish) at the same time you order discus unless you have a separate QT area and equipment and plan on a lengthy QT period, especially if your other fish come from a store.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

This is a nice, fun thread to read Good luck discustip!

Registered Member

This is Discustip not mom ! Ok so I talked to mom and she sayed she is willing to do daily w/c so what % of water changes should we do for 2.5" discus I can only afford 4 of them so what % of w/c should we do for 4 baby discus? Ps I can not afford huge discus in a month. I'm at $155 so how do I get to $470 in a month. I'm getting baby discus. I know to feed them 4 times daily and do big w/c daily.

Registered Member

Oh discustip....mom here again: work hard, do chores and save your money. Then you can get bigger fish.

Registered Member

No mom I can not get any bigger then 2.5" do you
    Know how much money I need for 4" 95$ a peace pluse shipping how do I get from $155 to $470 my parents won't even front me birthday money. How do I get that much money when we dont even have a way for me to make money.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast