AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Prazipro and Metroplex treatment plan

Registered Member

Default Prazipro and Metroplex treatment plan

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Long story somewhat short... after talking to numerous discus experts, including numerous sponsors on this site, I decided on a set up and purchased six discus ranging from 5-6 inches from a reputable seller. They have been a huge help and got me this far, but I am just reaching out for as much advice as I can get. Especially since my current treatment isn't quite what they recommended, but it's what I could get a hold of.

Anyway the day after I got them there was a power outage that last lasted a couple of hours. Temps didn't drop so I don't know if this cause any issues, but a few days later the fish had a terrible bacterial infection. They were dark, clumped together at the top of the tank and covered with white patches. A round of quick cure and they were back to normal, looking good and eating well.

But then a few days later I noticed white feces, and lack of appetite, I'm guessing as a result of all the recent stress allowing internal parasites to take hold. So, I did two rounds of general cure using the box directions and most came around. They were mostly eating well, but one or two still didn't eat much and white feces were still present. Also some occasional flashing. So I did another round of general cure but I'm guessing due to the rather low concentration it didn't do much. So now I am treating with both Hikari Prazipro and Seachem Metroplex, according to their directions, but slightly altered do to my WC schedule.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

White feces, lack of appetite, occasional flashing. The occasional flashing is multiple fish, but only one hasn't eaten and is still currently passing white feces.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Current treatment is Prazipro and Metroplex based off manufacturers recommended dosage.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55 gallons, six 5-6" discus.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

Has changed based on treatments, ranging from 50% daily to 50% twice a week. Currently I've settled on 50% every other day as this keep nitrates low and allows me to stick to a consistent dosage of the current medication.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank cycled for nearly 2 months before fish were added a little over a month ago. The tank has a thin layer(1/2") of pool filter sand as substrate.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I do age the water. I fill up the aging barrel and allow it to age until the next WC with a pump for circulation and a heater for temp. PH is the same between water straight from the tap and water that has aged. I age due to micro bubbles.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp - Currently 87f during treatment with the plan to lower it to 84 when discus are healthy.

- ph - 7.6

- ammonia reading - 0

- nitrite reading - 0

- nitrate reading - when doing twice weekly WC N03 could reach around 20. With a WC every other day theyve been topping out around 5ppm or so.

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water - aged tap water only.

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

All fish added at the same time from a single source.

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Color bits(or whatever they're called now) for an early feeding and live black worms for a late feeding. If you are simply going to suggest blackworms are the issue and leave no other advice, thank you, but I'm well aware of the polarizing nature of feeding live black worms. In the end people who never feed them have sick fish just as often and it seems very unlikely that fresh daily rinsed blackworms could be any more dangerous than other foods. I believe this is all the result of the initial stress they were under when I first got them. Transport, new environment, power outage, bacterial infection, etc.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Now, if you have bothered to read all that, I appreciate it. My main question is actually based on dosage and length of treatment period. As mentioned I am dosing Prazipro according to the recommend dosage as well as metroplex. I contacted Hakari and they said do a WC every 3 days and dose for 28 days, but since I am doing a 50% WC every other day I started with a full dose and have been replacing 50% with every WC. As for the metro I am doing a full dose with every WC(1 measure for every 10g). Does this sound good? If so how long should I keep both up for(started on the 19th)?

Even the sickest fish seems much better in that though he still hasn't eaten he is more active and seems to be passing more white feces(perhaps his system is clearing out?). I guess it's not tapeworms since prazi has been dosed for more than 2 days and I'm keeping that up just in the case of flukes due to the flashing, but I'm hoping the metro will clear up the internal issue. Thanks.
    Last edited by mrobscura; 12-29-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Prazipro and Metroplex treatment plan

Oh, and after the prazi/metro treatment, I also plan to do a round of Kanaplex to clear up any internal bacteria infection that may have set in. A second fish is lacking appetite now and passing what appears to be intestinal lining.

If any one could chime in on this I'd appreciate it. Thanks again.

Registered Member

Just an update... It appears I was wrong and live blackworms were the issue. Now, I am not saying they are a poor, or dangerous, food source in and of themselves but I think it has to do with the individual tank, specifically the PH, and/or the immune system of individual fish.

This is just a hypothesis on my part, but seeing as some people can feed live blackworm with no issues, while others have nothing but issues. I believe it may have to do with higher PH tanks allowing bacteria to thrive resulting in bacteria infections. Unfortunately, I had already lost one fish and had another ill fish that I was unable to save when I cut out the live blackworms. But since cutting them out, I have had no issues with the other fish, knock on wood.

Which brings me to a question I'd like some input on. I am now left with 4 adult discus in a 55 gallon. I am debating rather I should add two more or leave the tank as is? There is no overt aggression and no single fish is being picked on. Overall they seem happy and healthy. So, should I just leave well enough alone and not mess with a good thing?

Registered Member

live blackworms are always problem witch discus

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi mrobscura, perhaps best to leave well enough alone for now and hope you have smooth sailing from here. You can always add fish in the future with proper QT of course. If you decide to add fish you might consider a 75 gallon to give the fish more room.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening