AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single ingredient raw food my discus will love please?

Real Name
    Heidi

Default Re: Single ingredient raw food my discus will love please?

Thank you for the advise Willie. I will DC the tubifex and lookup the straight beef heart strips.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Tubifex worms are full of disease. Eventually, your discus will get sick. I'd stay as far from that as I can.

Heart muscle is used because it's usually the leanest of all the tissues. The big hassle is to cut out all the valves, connective tissue and blood vessels, which are very tough. When I bought hearts from the supermarket, the resulting tissue was 1/3 the weight of what I started with. It was a very messy process and I stopped doing it. Now I buy beefheart from California Blackworms, a Simply sponsor. They have different versions with different additives. I just get the straight beef heart. They come in 1-LB sheets. I cut them into cubes (1/2" X 1/2") and freeze them.

The supermarkets in the Midwest also carry extra lean ground beef. There's a 97% lean (so less than 3% fat) grade that I used to simply freeze and feed. It took my fish a while to get used to eating it, but it worked fine. If I had bothered to run into through the food processor, they probably would have had no problem with it. Look for Excel brand in the meat department. They come in a tube.

Willie
    Wow it looks like California Blackworms also sells Sf Bay bloodworm sheets and their 1 pound beef heart is a great price compared to what I'm paying to feed my discus!

If you go the ground beef route, it might be better to start with a whole piece of something lean (round-eye, sirloin, etc.) and kindly ask the butcher to trim and grind it. With pre-ground meat, you're at the mercy of whoever is packaging it. Maybe a bit paranoid, but it's nice to know exactly what you're getting.

Real Name
    Mervin

When I buy mussels for myself,I chop some raw up in fine pieces and the fish love them.This is a great treat,now and then.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    If you go the ground beef route, it might be better to start with a whole piece of something lean (round-eye, sirloin, etc.) and kindly ask the butcher to trim and grind it. With pre-ground meat, you're at the mercy of whoever is packaging it. Maybe a bit paranoid, but it's nice to know exactly what you're getting.
    Thank you Adam.

Real Name
    Heidi

Thank you Mervin. I love mussels! I will have to try that.

Real Name
    Kevin

My fish love these pellets and they keep my tank very clean. They are a soft pellet that is easily digested and slowly sink to the bottom.

http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/Disk...gold-250ml.htm

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    My fish love these pellets and they keep my tank very clean. They are a soft pellet that is easily digested and slowly sink to the bottom.

http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/Disk...gold-250ml.htm
    Thank you for the suggestion Kevin!

Real Name
    Heidi

I just received my first order of freeze dried Australian black worms from Simply Discus! Thank you!!! I soaked them in garlic guard and water, squished them up and my guys went crazy over them! It looks like I can finally get them off the bloodworms.

Real Name
    Heidi

Video link of them eating the Simply Discus freeze dried black worms for the first time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDis...ature=youtu.be

I tried 2 types of beef heart mix and raw salmon this week they hated it. I couldn't find any Mussels that were uncooked and unseasoned. The discus really loves these black worms!!! I'm going to buy them in bulk from Simply discus. I'm excited to try the pellets Kevin recommended also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12