AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heater controller question

Registered Member

Default heater controller question

I just bought a new heater controller for my heater it seems like it fluctuates within a degree it goes all the way up to 86.5 before turing off and will turn back on at 85.4 is this normal for heater controllers I didn't buy a real expensiveone got the finnex hc 0800u just wondering is this constant 1 degree swing back and forth going to stress out the discus id like something a little more steady thanks

Default Re: heater controller question

Sounds very reasonable for the price. If you want to invest a bit more and can wire something up yourself, get a Ranco ETC-111000. There are a few cheaper options floating around that are probably very nice as well, but the Ranco is as good as they come.

1°F is not going to stress your fish.

I started using the inkbird 306 a month ago and I must say, best spending on my aquarium so far. For 2 years, I have never have this stable temperature ever, they did great job. It cost me $40 Australian Dollar so it would be cheaper in US

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Sounds very reasonable for the price. If you want to invest a bit more and can wire something up yourself, get a Ranco ETC-111000. There are a few cheaper options floating around that are probably very nice as well, but the Ranco is as good as they come.

1°F is not going to stress your fish.
    http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html are you talking about one of these from jehmco looking for something a little better than the finnex I have since I have a titanium heater only thing that shuts it off is the heater controller

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    I started using the inkbird 306 a month ago and I must say, best spending on my aquarium so far. For 2 years, I have never have this stable temperature ever, they did great job. It cost me $40 Australian Dollar so it would be cheaper in US
    ok thanks ill check that out

They look like Rancos, probably are. You usually have to wire them up yourself.

Registered Member

They look like Rancos, probably are. You usually have to wire them up yourself.
    ok thanks looks like these are ready to use but thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    Please make sure you check the water every now and then with some other thermometer - I have gone through three of these units due to water getting into the probe and slowly causing the temp read out to be cooler than the water. Not the worst situation as it was slow and temp went down vs a stick on situation - but FYI. I know others who have not had this issue with the Inkbirds as well.

OP - 1F is what I set all of mine to, if you go to much tighter than that you will find your heaters cycle on and off a lot more than if you go with 1F.

Is the Inkbird probe "ready to go" right out of the box? The Ranco ones need to be covered with epoxy or shrink tube. Might be worth doing it to the Inkbird anyways if it doesn't mess with the readings.

Real Name
    Kevin

As Bizarro stated above, most thermostats work off a 1 degree differential to prevent the heaters from doing what is called short-cycling. A one degree difference is perfectly fine.

Is the Inkbird probe "ready to go" right out of the box? The Ranco ones need to be covered with epoxy or shrink tube. Might be worth doing it to the Inkbird anyways if it doesn't mess with the readings.
    Yes, the inkbird is pre-wired and all you have to do is calibrate it with glass of ice-water. Work well for me so far, temp fluctuation is now ~ 0.02 and I'm happy with it

It is, and they state that it is waterproof - however I like the idea of some epoxy - I have two brand new units that they were nice enough to send me as replacements for the busted ones, I think I have a project now The spot where you would need to seal would not impact the reading as the spot I would bet it leaks is where the metal and rubber join, no need to coat the entire probe.

Registered Member

You can make your own using a STC-1000 controller. The on and off range is programmable and can control both heating and cooling ( I only use it for heating). I attached 2 outlets to mine and it will turn one or two heaters on and off at the same time. There is a large digital display on it that show the temperature and whether it is on or off.

Real Name
    TONY

As stated 1 degree +/- is not critical as far as stress goes. Jehmco as a wide selection of wired & unwired controllers for various setups. I chose the ETCI-1R {Electronic Temperature Control w/ Receptacle and power cord for up to 1800 watts load
    Includes digital temperature display
    Ready to use with heavy duty 14 gauge
    x 8’ long power input cord and 3-prong grounded receptacle
    (second receptacle available installed for $7.00 additional)} Extremely reliable & accurate for the last 6 years. [ www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html ]

"T"
    Last edited by tonytheboss1; 01-06-2019 at 04:16 PM.
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Registered Member

I also purchased and ink bird. I set it at 84 and it will fluctuate from 83 to 84.3. all day in 2 ..29g tanks. My goal in as close to 83 as possible... My show tank is 83. And moves in a similar range as low as 82.2.

I used to stress about don't think it's possible to do better. And all seem to be within 1 degree more or less in accuracy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast