AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: heater controller question

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: heater controller question

All my Inkbird 308s are set to a 0.3 C range and the tank temperature actually stays well within that range, in some tanks I also have an STC 1000 wired in series with the 308 (for redundancy as Schego titanium heaters do not have their own built in thermostat). The 308 and the 1000 with their probes close together in the tanks never show more than 0.1 C difference.
    Just a little miffed that the 308 for europe does not have the easy to replace probe the USA 110v model has
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Registered Member

I wonder...if I set my controllers to C like you would it fluctuate less? With F there is way more difference. What are your guy ideas?

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

No idea as Finnex is not really available this side of the pond, on the Inkbirds you can set the range for heating (by default it is set at 0.5C but I put mine all on 0.3C, with the temperature set at 28C it means that when it drops to 27.7 it will turn the Schego on until it is up to 28 againg)
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Registered Member

Setting your controller to Celsius doesn't make it more accurate. Actually, just the opposite, Fahrenheit is a smaller graduation than Celsius. I've got mine set to +/- 1* F and it varies 1/2 * between morning and afternoon. Either, way, your fish are fine. Stop worrying.

Registered Member

So I works! Set your temperature controler to C instead of F. Controllers kick in with in 1 degree since C is a smaller Variance it does better. Now all my 4 tank set to 28.5 and the biggest various is 28.7 on the highest and 28.3 lowest. Less. Always like this for last 3 weeks ... Never more or less

Kept myself busy over the winter building a pump/heater controller for my sump that will be governed by a float switch for low water level shut off.
    And since I had a bunch of titanium heaters with bad controllers, I built one for them too. I like the Elitech EK-3010 as it has low and hi temp alarms and is very customizable as far as setting the heating parameters.
    Elitech was nice enough to make me custom 120v units as these are typically for the European market @ 220v... now lets see if they are reliable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Bill G.

I tossed my three Inkbirds after 7 months. The probes readings got all over the place. Found the Bluelines and have run them for 8 months wo a single adjustment or issue. My controller is set to prevent overheating by the Finnex HMX units which also have been super reliable. Heaters are set to 87 w the Controller set to 90. All has been just perfect.
    D7BC5159-A882-4DAC-80CF-881AF16060F0.jpeg
    C98C4FBF-5055-446F-B226-799C2FEE46D2.jpeg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12