AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please diagnose my fish

Real Name
    Heidi

Default Re: Please diagnose my fish

I don't think some people realize how hard it is when you have a spouse that is against fish tanks. I made a deal with my husband that I would be buying all the discus I want at once and quarantine them for 5 weeks then I would take the quarantine tank back outside and not have it in the house anymore.

I ordered all the discus I wanted but after purchase I was told the discus weren't all in stock so I ended up with 2 shipments in 2 weeks then the person said the other ones I paid for wouldn't be in stock for an additional 3 weeks so I asked for a refund and I still want those other discus. I tried my best to get them all in one shipment but it didn't work.

I just had the quarantine set up for 2 weeks in the house if I set it up again right now for 5 weeks then in a few months buy more fish and set it up for 5 weeks my husband is going to flip.

I'm not talking about a little argument that blows over in a day or two I'm talking about weeks of him stonewalling me and going out behind my back doing things, staying out till 2 a.m.doing his best to get even with me.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-07-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

RE: Quarantine: If I had another tank I would definitely do it, if only for acclimation purposes. I asked both my suppliers if they quarantine, they said the same thing; they always do in order to acclimate the new fish.

Gabe at Wattley's went into more detail; he told me that he believed all Discus have pathogens but most of these only affect the Discus in times of stress, one of these being put into a new environment after shipping. The stress in multiplied when the new environment already has established fish. The last point he made that really stood out to me was that sometimes it's the established fish that react even worse off when they see the new stressed fish and they become stressed as a result. He more or less said they both stress and feed off each other. That was his take on it anyway. Good luck!

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    I don't think some people realize how hard it is when you have a spouse that is against fish tanks. I made a deal with my husband that I would be buying all the discus I want at once and quarantine them for 5 weeks then I would take the quarantine tank back outside and not have it in the house anymore.

I ordered all the discus I wanted but after purchase I was told the discus weren't all in stock so I ended up with 2 shipments in 2 weeks then the person said the other ones I paid for wouldn't be in stock for an additional 3 weeks so I asked for a refund and I still want those other discus. I tried my best to get them all in one shipment but it didn't work.

I just had the quarantine set up for 2 weeks in the house if I set it up again right now for 5 weeks then in a few months buy more fish and set it up for 5 weeks my husband is going to flip.

I'm not talking about a little argument that blows over in a day or two I'm talking about weeks of him stonewalling me and going out behind my back doing things, staying out till 2 a.m.doing his best to get even with me.
    Wow that is really something, I dunno I suppose I wouldn't even have one aquarium if my wife opposed it that much. My wife generally just gets unhappy if the home isn't exactly the way she wants it. Not too extreme but I guess a general bad mood, which lasts for as long as until I get it back to the way it was. If momma aint happy, ain't nobody happy. So true in my home. I have more important things to worry about.

Real Name
    Heidi

Thank you Kenny.

I'm going to add one more thing to the mix- I used to breed exotic shorthair cats and show them. When you mix 2 different stock there is a risk of sometimes life threatening infections because the group of cats from one cattery has become immune to certain bacteria and another cattery hasn't. I had 2 cats die when I introduced them into my stock.

As it stands it's my old 3 discus that died. 4 of the new discus eventually ended up getting sick but not too bad off, 3 recovered and the last one just has a slight eye cloudiness. So how do you know that after quarantine and introducing a "hero fish" that he won't kill off all your old discus just because he/she naturally carries a bacteria the others aren't immune to? Wouldn't that be possible?

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

I'm by no means an expert, but here's my take on reasons for quarantine:

1. To acclimate the new fish.
    2. To ensure they have no obvious health issues before introducing into showtank.
    3. To treat any non-obvious health issues by medicating - ex/ deworming, etc

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    Thank you Kenny.
    So how do you know that after quarantine and introducing a "hero fish" that he won't kill off all your old discus just because he/she naturally carries a bacteria the others aren't immune to? Wouldn't that be possible?
    Yeah, I read about this exact thing happening here on the forums. I haven't read about any solution to this though.

Real Name
    Heidi

Technically we shouldn't have the 2 tanks we do have. I went through a lot of heartache, begging and many, many bribes to get them. After helping build the white one and showing it off to his friends (who all loved the tank) he stopped being angry but when I bought the second tank he refused to talk with me for weeks and he got even with me by refusing to help me set it up for months. It sat empty in my office. I tried to get a plumber to help me set it but but they refused. I tried to get a lfs person to help but they wanted 2K to plumb it and put the reinforcements I purchased for it under the house and they said I had to purchase all supplies. That's way too much.

Things are peaceful right now. I don't want to rock the boat.

Real Name
    Heidi

I completely agree on your list of reasons for quarantine. Quarantine is definitely good when you can do it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123