ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Cleaning Plants

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Default Cleaning Plants

What is a good way to make sure plants are not harboring nasties before putting them in with fish? I have some java moss that I want to put into a quarantine tank with some GBR and Tetras, the plants are not going in my discus tank, but I dont want to infect my GBR or Tetras either that will eventually go in with my discus. I did some searching on the forum and ran across this:

"Bleach can be used at a mixture of 19 parts water to 1 part bleach. .. dip your plants for 30-40 seconds and if you can try not to dip any roots, then rinse
    aggressively in water with a dechlorinator added ...

Alum is better I think. Alum ... 1 tsp of alum in 1 gallon water (you can get this cheap at any pharmacy and many grocery stores) ... soak your plants overnight ...

Potassium Permanganate is another option(Careful - it stains everything!). get a bucket and 1/2 fill it with water - add Potassium Permanganate (see SEARS) - add enough to turn the water a dark pink color. Then in a second bucket again 1/2 full add some dechlorinator like Seachem Prime... 20 minutes in the Potassium Permanganate solution (Rinse the roots but avoid soaking them) - then rinse in second bucket - and then into the tank."

It was from a pretty old thread so I just wanted to see if I could get some comments opinions or updated info on the best way to do it without killing the plants. I have PP and bleach but not ALUM, I could go get some though if thats the best way.

Thanks

Default Re: Cleaning Plants

Not sure Alum does anything to bacteria or parasites. Snails hate it, but the tough ones can survive it. Java moss is pretty tough, so I'd bleach it. Easy enough to get more if it dissolves. Better yet, get tissue cultured Java moss so you can just toss it in without worry.

Real Name
    Naz

Treat your plants with Fritz Aquatics Mardel Clout. It is what I use and follow the directions carefully just like you would do with fish.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Filip

Harder plant species like Anubias , Echinodorus or Java Ferns can easily handle the above described bleach method , even to a dip period of 2-3 minutes .
    For softer plants I use 24 hour PP bath with 25-30 ppm solution , sometimes redose when depletes during that period .
    I have had snails surviving the 24 hour 25 ppm PP dip , so I doubt that it is 100% safe against all pathogens .

Best bet would be to buy tissue cultured plants or hydroponics dry cultured plants , as Adam advised .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Harder plant species like Anubias , Echinodorus or Java Ferns can easily handle the above described bleach method , even to a dip period of 2-3 minutes .
    For softer plants I use 24 hour PP bath with 25-30 ppm solution , sometimes redose when depletes during that period .
    I have had snails surviving the 24 hour 25 ppm PP dip , so I doubt that it is 100% safe against all pathogens .

Best bet would be to buy tissue cultured plants or hydroponics dry cultured plants , as Adam advised .
    I looked around for tissue cultured java moss..not sure where I can buy that at, if you guys know any sources for that, please share. I'm doing the 24 hour, 25ppm PP method mentiond on the moss I have, maybe after it recovers from that I'll do a bleach dip also, if it dies it dies I guess. I did see some little worm larva wiggling around in the tank that had the moss in it. I guess I'm glad i didnt just through it in with my fish untreated.

Right here - http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...tsr&1516815606

Could be planaria, hydra, nematodes or detritus worms. All are basically harmless unless you have or want wigglers. Flubendazole kills planaria and hydra without exception, nematodes and detritus aren't worth worrying about.
    Last edited by Adam S; 01-13-2018 at 12:14 AM.