ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Best 150gal canister filter?

Real Name
    Heidi

Default Best 150gal canister filter?

I need 2 good canister filters that will each service 150 gallon quarantine stock tank (one to use and one for backup). Any suggestions? This year I had 3 fairly new canister filters go bad/stop working. I also had several pumps go bad. Seems like some brands are workhorses and others are low quality (despite their high price). Right now I have backup heaters and pumps for my main tanks so I'm covered there but I plan to get more discus this month or next and need to have my quarantine tank setup and ready asap.

Registered Member

Default Re: Best 150gal canister filter?

If these are temporary set ups, I'm not sure I would go with canister filters. I mean something like a Fluval fx4 or a Rena xp4 will work, but that's a lot of expense for a temporary quarantine tank. I'd get a couple of large sponge filters and air pump. Then after you break down the tank, put one in your display tank's sump (after it is free of any thing bad) and get it seeded with bacteria so if you need to set up a hospital or quarantine tank again you've got a filter ready to go.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by gators111 View Post
    If these are temporary set ups, I'm not sure I would go with canister filters. I mean something like a Fluval fx4 or a Rena xp4 will work, but that's a lot of expense for a temporary quarantine tank. I'd get a couple of large sponge filters and air pump. Then after you break down the tank, put one in your display tank's sump (after it is free of any thing bad) and get it seeded with bacteria so if you need to set up a hospital or quarantine tank again you've got a filter ready to go.
    Thank you for the suggestion gators. I had a pond sponge filter once it even had an LED light and some ceramic filtration super cheap too. Maybe I should do that again. I think I spent $30 for it. I always have lots of aeration- a Danner pond air pump and 8" airstone, same as what's in both my main tanks. I usually have extras of everything but there were too many equipment failures this year.

You can never get wrong with fluval, they are a bit painful to pay but you won't regret the investment. I would go for Fluval fx4 or even fx6 ^^

Registered Member

I have a 150g and use an FX6. Love it

agree, the FX6--- excellent filter. I have two on my 180 gallon of geophagus/discus. This is way over-filtered, but, that is something I always do.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Musky78 View Post
    I have a 150g and use an FX6. Love it
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    You can never get wrong with fluval, they are a bit painful to pay but you won't regret the investment. I would go for Fluval fx4 or even fx6 ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Discluv View Post
    agree, the FX6--- excellent filter. I have two on my 180 gallon of geophagus/discus. This is way over-filtered, but, that is something I always do.
    Thank you. It sounds like Fluval is a good bet.