AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please diagnose my fish

Real Name
    Heidi

Default Please diagnose my fish

Everything's been going great until this afternoon I noticed my albino yellow has clamped fins and red abrasion on side of her body, see pics. She's eating good. My white angel fish has a red raised bump on one fin. He's eating good.

The other yellow albino in the picture arrived from the breeder with 2 bumps on each side and an indent near it's tail. It's like this 24-7, not sure if this is normal. The discus eats great, seems super healthy, erect fins.

I had several in tank that seemed a bit constipated today (half poo all day despite feeding multiple times during the day) so I added Epsom salt 1 tbsp. per 10 gallon several hours ago. Still waiting for that to kick in.

I have Eco Labs BSDT32 Broad Spectrum Disease Treatment (Malachite Green and Formalin). Should I treat them with this? My water parameters are great.

I blame this on myself for adding new fish without quarantine since my quarantine pump went out the night before my new fish were supposed to arrive. I've had 2 Hydor and 1 fluval canister filter all go bad this year. All 3 filters were under 2 years old.

The clamped fin yellow albino and angel fish are the only ones that appear truly sick and they are not new fish. They've both been with me for about 2 years.

My big geophagus with the spot on his side has started having some aggression towards the discus this week. I am trying to place him for free with anyone who might want him- so far no takes. The 2 smaller geophagus are super sweet. They are not the same type of geophagus as the big one who is known to have semi aggressive tendencies. I'm not sure if the albino yellow abrasions are from being bumped by the geophagus or if it's illness.

I just fed them so the stuff floating around is food.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-02-2018 at 01:03 AM.

Real Name
    Heidi

Default Re: Please diagnose my fish

Could it be flukes? Since my water quality is good I'm not finding much else that it could be. The angelfish fin is raised and bumpy.

I'm starting to switch out my 4 filter socks daily instead of every 2-3 days. I'm thinking of adding foramin/malachite. I'd like to take the geophagus to my LFS or give him away but now I feel bad to do so if there's a disease in my tank. Any recommendations please? I'm not used to having sick fish.

Real Name
    Heidi

I guess I will turn this post into a blog-journal. Maybe it will help someone in the future who is having a similar problem.

I just pulled most of the rock from my tank (so it doesn't get stained blue) and added the Eco Labs BSDT32 Broad Spectrum Disease Treatment. Now I have a creepy Halloween tank which my son finds very entertaining. The directions say to treat every 8-12 hours but they don't say how many days to continue treatment.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Heidi, since you have already started the malachite/formalin treatment I would continue for 3 days then add carbon to remove completely. Then do a large water change and monitor. I would not have suggested the treatment in which you have chosen, malachite and formalin are mainly going to cure diseases/fungus/parasites on the external body of the fish, not internal. I think the bump you see is more of an internal issue. While I do not think it is a disease at all, it may be beneficial to start a treatment of metro or levamisole once you have concluded that it is not simply a genetic defect.

Does the fish defecate normally? Normal color and consistency?
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Heidi, since you have already started the malachite/formalin treatment I would continue for 3 days then add carbon to remove completely. Then do a large water change and monitor. I would not have suggested the treatment in which you have chosen, malachite and formalin are mainly going to cure diseases/fungus/parasites on the external body of the fish, not internal. I think the bump you see is more of an internal issue. While I do not think it is a disease at all, it may be beneficial to start a treatment of metro or levamisole once you have concluded that it is not simply a genetic defect.

Thank you Jacklyn. I have 500 grams Metronidazole and also 100 grams Oxytetracycline. Is the metro better? I did another treatment at 4am. The Angel's fin has improved some. The only problem is my old blue (not a new fish) has an extremely clouded over white eye this morning. Would it be bad to switch to Metro sooner since his eye is really bad and developed after starting the malachite formalin?

I believe the defect is genetic since the yellow crystal is very healthy, defecates normal. Everyone in my tank has healthy poo, not stringy or white. Atleast I think they poo normal. It looks thick and round, brown, long. Sometimes with the bloodworms I see it come out looking a bit undigested (even in the healthy fish) and sometimes the poo doesn't come out all the way it takes awhile for them to finish pooing. I've only noticed this recently since I have increased my feedings to 4xs a day.

Is it strange that my fish were all healthy and the new bunch made them sick but the new bunch are all healthy? Did the newbies introduce disease that the old ones hadn't been exposed to and the new ones were immune to? Would quarantine have prevented this? The new ones are so healthy I never would have treated them.

I just read that oxytetracyline is for gram negative bacteria only so it's not as good for a mystery disease as Metro which is for both gram negative and positive bacteria.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-03-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Real Name
    Heidi

Here's the other discus that now is sick with cloudy white flaky looking eyes. He was health yesterday before I started the Malachite formalin. Now he refuses to feed.

Real Name
    Heidi

I'm OCD about having extra supplies and meds for "just in case" situations. I only wish I had another backup canister filter so I could have quarantined the new group when the filter went bad.

I was thinking about injecting them with Baytril. It's what I do for my new koi if one is ever sick and the koi respond within a matter of 3 hours. Baytril kills pretty much everything. I have no idea how to inject discus though. There is nothing online to show where to inject them and what if my long needle punctured something vital? I'd have to find shorter needles, sterile water and a sterile empty injection container so I can dilute my 100mg/ml baytril to administer the tiny dose they would require. Has anyone ever injected a discus with meds?

Real Name
    Heidi

OMG now I have 3 discus that appear to be sluffing off their slime coat, one looks near death and a red discus with white big fuzzy spots like fungus. It's like the Twilight Zone in my fish tank!!!!

Real Name
    Heidi

I ordered some freeze dried black worms from simply discus. Hopefully my gang gets over their plague so I can switch them to beef heart and freeze dried Blackworms next week when my orders arrive.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I think you might want to move this to the emergency room for more feedback? And fill out the questionnaire? If it's bacterial they may be able to give more recommendations. It seems to be progressing very rapidly...

Real Name
    Heidi

Thank you Kyla.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

the shedding of the slime coat is likely due to the malachite green addition. get carbon in there immediately to pull any medication out. do large water changes, 100% if possible, and add an airstone. also adding salt to the tank once all medications have been removed would be helpful. do not start anymore medications until we see what several large waterchanges do with the removing of the malachite + formalin.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Jacklyn

I honestly think you made a mountain out of a molehill. nothing was needed to begin with IMO
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Heidi

I honestly think you made a mountain out of a molehill. nothing was needed to begin with IMO
    Some peoples mountains are other people's molehill. That's ok. My 3 dead cories and blind discus might disagree with you.

Real Name
    Heidi

I think each person learns from their past experiences and that causes them to make different choices in life.

It's common for me to have female koi that are egg bound and die if I don't starve all the koi so that she reabsorbs the eggs. My males won't spawn and the male is required to bump the eggs physically out of the koi so if the males don't bump the females then they become egg bound. I learned to inject Baytril so the female could be near death but turns around with treatment.

I always have Baytril on stock but it had expired earlier this year without me realizing it. I had a koi shipment that arrived in August all of them were sick and died in 24 hours or less. I had two more shipments expected in the next two weeks from the same place. I told them to hold off on one shipment so I could order medication. They had to refund my money because within the week both of the fish died before they could ship them. The second shipment arrived with one fish healthy and another sick. I immediately started Baytril and the fish completely turned around within 24 hours was doing better. In my experience I would rather be prepared and treat the fish then watch it die. Watching a couple of my Coreys dead doesn't bother me much but I prefer not to have my discus die.

I've also watched my son near death with double pneumonia on a respirator and the doctors switch medications mid-treatment, have him on 2 antibiotics, one antiviral and he does a turnabout. Anything that can help stop the progression of disease and cause a human or animal to regain their health is good in my opinion.

I might not be making all the right decisions regarding my fish but I'm trying my best.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-04-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast