ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Breeding in a 20 gallon?

Default Breeding in a 20 gallon?

What's the general consensus on breeding in a 20 gallon. I've bred many discus in 29 gallon tanks before I moved to Maryland. Now I've set up an aquarium stand that will fit either one 29 gallon, or two 20 gallon tanks above a 55 grow-out tank. Should I put one 29 gallon, or two 20 gallon tanks? -Don

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Breeding in a 20 gallon?

Hi Don,
    I've never used 20's, so just thinking out loud here. Are you thinking you would use both 20's as breeders? I assume you've got plenty of grow out space besides the 55 below.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member SomeFin's Fishy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mark

Don- We house all of our breeding pairs in 20G high tanks without any problems. We raise most of our fry away from the parents, but if the pairs are willing, we have had them raise quite a few spawns in the same 20g tanks without any complications.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

We breed all our pairs in 20 gallon highs without any issues at all.

I used 20G for breeding tank but 29G should work as well just a little taller.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Don,
    I've never used 20's, so just thinking out loud here. Are you thinking you would use both 20's as breeders? I assume you've got plenty of grow out space besides the 55 below.
    LOL! No, that's all I've got besides my 150g display. I'll have to sell them fast! And do lots of water changes.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeFin's Fishy View Post
    Don- We house all of our breeding pairs in 20G high tanks without any problems. We raise most of our fry away from the parents, but if the pairs are willing, we have had them raise quite a few spawns in the same 20g tanks without any complications.
    Good to know, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishquake View Post
    We breed all our pairs in 20 gallon highs without any issues at all.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    I used 20G for breeding tank but 29G should work as well just a little taller.
    Thanks.

Real Name
    Willie

Sure you can, Don. But then what? The spawn will outgrow a 20 gal tank in about three weeks.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Steve

Well, given your previous response, I'd use the 29, which will give you an extra week or two with the fry in that tank over the 20. I'd eventually transfer them to the 55, probably with a cull at the same time. I don't see what two 20's are going to do for you. I have delusions of grandeur, but I have fun getting by on one batch at a time. Grow out space and water are the limiting factors for now.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Sure you can, Don. But then what? The spawn will outgrow a 20 gal tank in about three weeks.

Willie
    I'll probably move the parents back into the display tank and leave the spawn in the 20 for a while before moving them to the 55. But it's all the space I have . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Well, given your previous response, I'd use the 29, which will give you an extra week or two with the fry in that tank over the 20. I'd eventually transfer them to the 55, probably with a cull at the same time. I don't see what two 20's are going to do for you. I have delusions of grandeur, but I have fun getting by on one batch at a time. Grow out space and water are the limiting factors for now.
    Yes, that will be me, one batch at a time, if I can get a proven pair going.