ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the "real seller" of this exact discus?

Default Re: Who is the "real seller" of this exact discus?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    Thank you Phil.

Do you know anyone near Bakersfield, California? I don't know of anyone reputable.

I'm about 5 hours away from Kenny's discus. I've thought a lot about going to get my discus straight from Kenny except there are a few road blocks. Does Kenny have a store can you actually visit and go pick out the exact discus you want? If my husband would agree to make a road trip (he would like to visit San Fran so that's entirely possible) and if Kenny had a new shipment in and we were able to take off at a nano second notice (seeing as Kenny's discus sell out in about 1-3 days) and if Kenny would allow me to pick out the exact discus then of coarse hold them and ship them when they're out of quarantine, will those discus be available or already pre-sold to other people since I've been on a wait list for some Kenny discus for over a year?... In a perfect world I could drive to Daley City and hand pick some coveted Kenny discus. I don't see that happening though.
    Hi Heidi

I am about an hour from Kenny so have had the pleasure of visiting him a few times. He does have a fish room but not a "store."

Kenny will always post a preview of his shipment so you know what he is bringing in. My suggestion would be to get in touch with him prior so that he knows what you are looking for. He may or may not have all you want in a single shipment.

Kenny is amazing to work with and very accommodating. Best thing to do is give him a call or send him an email and he will happily answer all of your questions
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Heidi

Thank you Ryan. You're so lucky to live close to him! I'm still on a waiting list. I contacted him in December to make sure he hasn't forgotten me and he replied.

I really love the discus I got from discusmadness a couple of years back so if I don't get what I want from Kenny I will hopefully get it from discusmadness soon. I ordered this all white butterfly from them that arrives tomorrow. I can hardly wait.

I think I've given up on my dream of getting all the discus I want at once. My discus will probably die from lack of good quarantine within the year and I will have to switch to all angels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-08-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Most likely you received the fish from Gabe Posadas of Jack Wattley Discus.

Real Name
    Phil

I’d email Kenny all your questions and take that drive. You will get to see a new city and get the discus of your dreams.

However if you aren’t quarantining and are adding your fish from tons of sources and bad ones at that. Your completing a very expensive destruction project.

Maybe stop ordering sell off your stock now and sterilize your system. Go see Kenny and get them all and do it right and be done

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Maybe stop ordering sell off your stock now and sterilize your system. Go see Kenny and get them all and do it right and be done
    I will consider that but I don't think I can even if I wanted to. There's no way Kenny will ever have all the discus I want all in one shipment. I tried for a year to get the discus of my dreams all in one shipment. I tried so hard to wait and be patient but it didn't happen. Then I tried with a different breeder and after paying he didn't have everything on his website in stock so again I am left with "multiple shipments." The discus I wanted most in my tank I don't have. I wanted select grade all red (including red face) and select grade white platinum and white butterfly. Right now I have one decent all red, one red I need to cull and zero white discus in my white tank.

I think any time you have multiple orders of discus over the span of months, even if they're all from the same place, and you don't quarantine, you're taking a huge risk. I could stop where I'm at and try to be happy with what I have (some nice, healthy, colorful discus) but what I have are not my dream discus.

Wouldn't it be just my luck to get an email from Kenny next week after I spent all my Kenny fund and have no money until mid-February lol.

Real Name
    Phil

I don’t want this to be taken the wrong way becuse I’ve been there. But you seem to be on a discus spiral and it won’t end well

You had your heart set and that was broken and now you are trying to compensate.

I get you want your dream discus. But even if you obtained them with the way you are going about things your dream fish will be sick or dead.

Again you can do what you want and need to. Your tank your funds.

But ask anyone here who has gone this route. Your dream will soon become a nightmare full of meda and dead fish.

Better off understanding that your dream may never become a reality. Especially without proper qt.

You are lucky. 5 hrs from Kenny many people here would kill for that. Set up a cheap qt in the garage and make 2 even 3 trips. If it’s a true dream for you then you need to put some effort in and make it happen.

Can’t just snap fingers and say poof dream come true. I want to own a football or basketball team. Can’t snap your fingers and make that happen. You can’t with this either.

Again just saying cause you seem genuine and I don’t want your dream to become hrs on end in the emergency room thread

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    I’d email Kenny all your questions and take that drive. You will get to see a new city and get the discus of your dreams.

However if you aren’t quarantining and are adding your fish from tons of sources and bad ones at that. Your completing a very expensive destruction project.

Yeah, I couldn't emotionally handle culling 3k worth of discus, sterlilizing my system and watching an empty tank for another year... saving allover again in the hopes that Kenny will send me a golden ticket that would result in exactly what I want. I think it's a wonderful dream.

Right now I'm tapped out. I plan to save more money and place a large order with either Kenny or discusmadness in the next few months. Those fish will definitely be quarantined and I will be culling some of what I have. My husband won't let me quarantine fish in the house all year long. He's ok with once in a year.

Real Name
    Heidi

Great post Phil. I agree.

My husband is even more territorial of the garage than he is of the house unfortunately. I think I will have to be happy with the fact that I can quarantine once a year. In the meantime if I buy more discus and put them in the tank without quarantine it's a risk I'm ok with taking at this time because what I have right now are all discus I will probably eventually cull/give away once I get better grade discus to replace them.

Yeah, I couldn't emotionally handle culling 3k worth of discus, sterlilizing my system and watching an empty tank for another year... saving allover again in the hopes that Kenny will send me a golden ticket that would result in exactly what I want. I think it's a wonderful dream.

Right now I'm tapped out. I plan to save more money and place a large order with either Kenny or discusmadness in the next few months. Those fish will definitely be quarantined and I will be culling some of what I have. My husband won't let me quarantine fish in the house all year long. He's ok with once in a year.
    Have you considered uncle Sam's? Another sponsor here of high quality fish and would be a closer drive for you than Kenny and I believe they do have their fish on display for you to choose from.

Kenny gets one monthly shipment and liquidates the entire shipment very quickly so he does not keep any fish around

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Have you considered uncle Sam's? Another sponsor here of high quality fish and would be a closer drive for you than Kenny and I believe they do have their fish on display for you to choose from.

Kenny gets one monthly shipment and liquidates the entire shipment very quickly so he does not keep any fish around
    Thank you for the suggestion Ryan!

Real Name
    Ryan

I have this strain.

Golden based LSS from Dickson Lim
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Real Name
    Ryan

I believe James Perrenod at discus"r"us has them.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Ryno View Post
    I believe James Perrenod at discus"r"us has them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Ryno View Post
    I have this strain.

Golden based LSS from Dickson Lim
    Those are really beautiful. <3

What made me fall in love with the discus in the photo I initially posted is that it has every color of the rainbow to tie my discus together and add a bit of pomp to my tank. I *adore* spots which is the icing on the cake and in the picture that discus has no jail bar banding. I don't like bars.

I will be buying 2-3 of each color "solid" discus that isn't prone to banding (solid red melon/fire red, solid blue diamond, solid white platinum, solid white butterfly, solid gold melon, solid yellow albino) and to me buying 2-3 of that "spotted rainbow" discus would have been heaven.

I've since learned that strain all have banding and what looks like a rainbow in someone else's tank might not look like a rainbow in my tank. It might end up looking like an all white fish with orange spots and black bands in my white tank.

It might sound weird to want a rainbow of discus but my entire room and tank are white. The only color in my entire room is the discus and their colors stand out like beacons.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-08-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Those are really beautiful. <3

What made me fall in love with the discus in the photo I initially posted is that it has every color of the rainbow to tie my discus together and add a bit of pomp to my tank. I *adore* spots which is the icing on the cake and in the picture that discus has no jail bar banding. I don't like bars.

I will be buying 2-3 of each color "solid" discus that isn't prone to banding (solid red melon/fire red, solid blue diamond, solid white platinum, solid white butterfly, solid gold melon, solid yellow albino) and to me buying 2-3 of that "spotted rainbow" discus would have been heaven.

I've since learned that strain all have banding and what looks like a rainbow in someone else's tank might not look like a rainbow in my tank. It might end up looking like an all white fish with orange spots and black bands in my white tank.

It might sound weird to want a rainbow of discus but my entire room and tank are white. The only color in my entire room is the discus and their colors stand out like beacons.
    Keep in mind the "bands" you see are stress bars. They may be visible since the fish are new and have not settled . Typically you don't see the bars unless the mood dictates.

I have a wild cross that displays bars much like a mood ring

With my eruption once I got rid of the dark substrate she rarely showed bars except for sometimes for feeding or feeling like breeding 628201782234.jpg
    Leopard eruption from Kenny

Real Name
    Heidi

Beautiful leopard Kenny. I'm a sucker for spots.

I don't know why but the one blue banded discus I had (in the breeders picture he wasn't banded) always displayed bars for the 2 years I had him even though he was super healthy and seemed happy. He wasn't the most dominant in the tank but no one ever picked on him and he was super healthy until I introduced the new discus that killed him.

Now the 2 new eruption/leopards I got are always banded 24-7. I'm a bit worried my white tank affects them somehow causing them to band. Maybe they will stop banding in time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast