AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is the "real seller" of this exact discus?

Real Name
    Kevin

Default Re: Who is the "real seller" of this exact discus?

Heidi, The discus you have pictured looks like a Penang eruption which is sold by Kenny. Here's a photo of one of mine that I purchased from Kenny a few months ago.

penang.jpg

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    Heidi, The discus you have pictured looks like a Penang eruption which is sold by Kenny. Here's a photo of one of mine that I purchased from Kenny a few months ago.

penang.jpg
    So pretty! It does look very similar like they are from the same breeding!

Real Name
    Kevin

You may also want to take a look at his Jumbo spotted face penang eruptions. They're pricey fish but have great shapes, I have one also but he is currently sleeping and isn't real happy when I wake him up for photo's!

Real Name
    Heidi

I love jumbos! If you can please share a picture of him whenever you get a chance.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    I will consider that but I don't think I can even if I wanted to. There's no way Kenny will ever have all the discus I want all in one shipment. I tried for a year to get the discus of my dreams all in one shipment. I tried so hard to wait and be patient but it didn't happen. Then I tried with a different breeder and after paying he didn't have everything on his website in stock so again I am left with "multiple shipments." The discus I wanted most in my tank I don't have. I wanted select grade all red (including red face) and select grade white platinum and white butterfly. Right now I have one decent all red, one red I need to cull and zero white discus in my white tank.

I think any time you have multiple orders of discus over the span of months, even if they're all from the same place, and you don't quarantine, you're taking a huge risk. I could stop where I'm at and try to be happy with what I have (some nice, healthy, colorful discus) but what I have are not my dream discus.

Wouldn't it be just my luck to get an email from Kenny next week after I spent all my Kenny fund and have no money until mid-February lol.
    Heidi, I can certainly relate to your thoughts and experiences thus far. From the start my goal was a group of ~10 beautiful Discus in my tank.

This is my order history:

Aug '16 - Ten 4"-4.5" Discus from Discus USA, Florida
    Nov '16 - Five 4.5" Discus from Discus USA, Florida
    Mar '17 - Eight ~5" Discus from Wattley's, FL
    May '17 - Five ~5" Discus from Wattley's, FL
    Sep '17 - Fifteen ~5" Discus from Wattley's, FL

Some died, gave some away, sold some. I actually culled more than a few due to 'defects'. I put in a fair amount of effort working with the suppliers to get the best fish. In my last two orders I practically insisted on paying a premium to receive his best fish available, offer was accepted of course.

In my last order I was rather disappointed; the size & shape were great but the coloring barely resembled the beautiful Rafflesia & Cobalts you see in pictures. For that last order I even got rid of my current tank's occupants, and sterilized the entire tank/sump in order to start completely fresh. I feel like this was my last attempt.

What I'm saying is that I found it impossible to get my perfect school of Discus that I dreamed of when starting off. Living fairly close to Kenny's I think you have a better chance at this than I did. I wish you luck.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 01-09-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    Heidi, I can certainly relate to your thoughts and experiences thus far. From the start my goal was a group of ~10 beautiful Discus in my tank.

This is my order history:

Aug '16 - Ten 4"-4.5" Discus from Discus USA, Florida
    Nov '16 - Five 4.5" Discus from Discus USA, Florida
    Mar '17 - Eight ~5" Discus from Wattley's, FL
    May '17 - Five ~5" Discus from Wattley's, FL
    Sep '17 - Fifteen ~5" Discus from Wattley's, FL

Some died, gave some away, sold some. I actually culled more than a few due to 'defects'. I put in a fair amount of effort working with the suppliers to get the best fish. In my last two orders I practically insisted on paying a premium to receive his best fish available, offer was accepted of course.

In my last order I was rather disappointed; the size & shape were great but the coloring barely resembled the beautiful Rafflesia & Cobalts you see in pictures. For that last order I even got rid of my current tank's occupants, and sterilized the entire tank/sump in order to start completely fresh. I feel like this was my last attempt.

What I'm saying is that I found it impossible to get my perfect school of Discus that I dreamed of when starting off. Living fairly close to Kenny's I think you have a better chance at this than I did. I wish you luck.
    I so totally relate to your post. I'm sorry for what you went through.

We are driving 2+ hours away from home right now because the person I purchased some discus from transposed my zip code and FedEx won't ship until tomorrow night. I feel like if I wait for them to arrive tomorrow night their immune systems will be more compromised and I'm back to having dead fish and sickness in my tank.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    I so totally relate to your post. I'm sorry for what you went through.

We are driving 2+ hours away from home right now because the person I purchased some discus from transposed my zip code and FedEx won't ship until tomorrow night. I feel like if I wait for them to arrive tomorrow night their immune systems will be more compromised and I'm back to having dead fish and sickness in my tank.
    Thanks but you don't need to feel sorry, it was a learning experience. Also can't say I didn't have fun throughout this whole time. But I'll tell you, I do realize how hard it is getting that 'perfect group' of ten or more all together, at one time.

Transposed you zip code? Wow, couldn't have picked a worse time for this happen. I hope they turn out all right.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 01-09-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Real Name
    Heidi

Thank you Kenny. Yes it was bad timing. It was a 5.5 hour drive total including stopping for gas. They ended up refunding my shipping charges which was nice of them. The discus are all alive, healthy and acclimating. I think they are all pretty nice! Here are a couple of pictures. I ordered 5 total from Myrtle Beach Discus. These pictures were taken barely 30 minutes after putting them in the tank. The others are hiding but appear healthy. I pulled the rocks away from the overflow box so they can hide behind them and have privacy.

I checked out Myrtle Beach discus before buying. They have 100% positive feedback on ebay, cute video and pics on Facebook and some people posted here on Simply and all of them were happy with the discus they ordered. They had the exact white butterfly and platinum albino I wanted at a great price. I took a chance. Praying now that everyone stays healthy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-09-2018 at 11:57 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Those look nice. Good luck. Do you have other discus in this tank?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Those look nice. Good luck. Do you have other discus in this tank?
    Thank you Rick. Yes there are discus in the tank. I'm taking a huge chance not quarantining them. I am only allowed to QT once in a year and I'm saving that for sometime between February and June when I place a large order of more expensive discus from Kenny's discus or Discusmadness. Right now I am just praying. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

The other 3 babies came out of hiding. I don't think I could be happier with these discus. I paid $200 without shipping. All 5 are beautiful to me and I think they have potential to become even more beautiful with lots of good food and fresh water.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-10-2018 at 01:01 AM.

Real Name
    Heidi

More pics. So sorry for all The pictures. The cuteness factor in my fish tank is killing me. I might have to poke my eyes out. I want to reach in the tank and hug them.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-10-2018 at 01:54 AM.

Registered Member

Nice fish! Just to note I've picked up fish from multiple Kenny shipments without quarantining them, of course I only have Kenny discus in my tank. Golden state Discus (a sponsor here) has a newer store in Rocklin that you can hand pick discus at (probably 14 or 15 large tanks worth of discus), though I think they keep most of their shipment fish at another facility. I'd email them and find out when their next shipment will be out of quarantine. I'm sure they'd send you some pictures of there current stock too. Their facebook page had some eruptions in a video similar to what you were looking for.

I'd also be curious what your feeding vs what people who have those intense coloration on their eruptions do. Mine I feed bloodworms as a supplement to beef-heart and my large male is similar to what you're looking for.
    Cheers,
    DC
    Last edited by DC Discus; 01-10-2018 at 02:35 AM. Reason: typo

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by DC Discus View Post
    Nice fish! Just to note I've picked up fish from multiple Kenny shipments without quarantining them, of course I only have Kenny discus in my tank. Golden state Discus (a sponsor here) has a newer store in Rocklin that you can hand pick discus at (probably 14 or 15 large tanks worth of discus), though I think they keep most of their shipment fish at another facility. I'd email them and find out when their next shipment will be out of quarantine. I'm sure they'd send you some pictures of there current stock too. Their facebook page had some eruptions in a video similar to what you were looking for.

I'd also be curious what your feeding vs what people who have those intense coloration on their eruptions do. Mine I feed bloodworms as a supplement to beef-heart and my large male is similar to what you're looking for.
    Cheers,
    DC
    Thank you DC Discus! I appreciate you sharing your feeding recommendations and success at adding new discus without quarantine. I know my situation is worse since I have discus from different sources. Hopefully all my guys stay strong and healthy. I will check out Golden State Discus! Cheers to you also.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Great, I'm glad it worked out.

Real Name
    Willie

If you don't quarantine, you will not succeed in this hobby.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast