AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Let’s start at the beginning...

Registered Member

Default Let’s start at the beginning...

G’day, I’m Jimmy. I live in Melbourne, Australia. I don’t currently have fish and have only had a community tank with tetras and rainbows and other random fish when I was about 20. Other than that I haven’t kept fish before.

I was 1st introduced to discus a few years back when a bloke I worked with showed me his tank. While we were passing time at work he told me about them and I ended up going around to his place and checking out his tank. I wasn’t in a position to really start up a tank of my own so I didn’t get any at that time.

Recently I was on YouTube watching some videos and came across a bunch of discus videos. Once I started watching one I was hooked. I ended up watching Al’s talk that Joey - The King of DIY - recorded and put up on his page. When I had watched it for a second time in a week I thought I had better come check out the forum and start looking into keeping discus. So now I’ve kept watching videos and read the Stickies in the beginner section and lots of other threads I think it’s about time to introduce myself and lay out what I’ve come up with so far.

I currently don’t have a tank. I have been looking at a few of my LFS and have narrowed it down to a 340L or 290L (I think that’s 90G or 76G but my math might be a bit off). The plan is for it to be a grow out tank. I’ve seen two utes thread and I like the idea of getting around 15 or so smaller discuss, growing them out and then decreasing until I have 6 -8 fish.

The tanks that I’ve looked at sit on wooden cabinets and a wooden hood. I am going to keep it BB. I figure it’s my first tank and I had better get used to keeping them and growing them out in a BB before I try and keep discuss in a planted tank. I’ve also read in a lot of threads that they tend not to grow out too well in planted tanks. So, I figure, KIS.

Again, I’ve read everywhere that the more water changes the better. I am thinking I’ll do 50% daily to begin with. If my tank only requires 30% daily then I might refuse it but I figure start at 50% daily as a starting point. I’ll be using tap water, I looked on two utes thread and we are in the same city. Hopefully that will mean our water has similar parameters. This is something that I’ll have to check after I buy a tank and before I buy discus.

As far as filtration is concerned I need to do some more research on this. I know some people who were talking about doing an anoxic filtration system and this does appeal to me, but when I went to Aquatico Aquarium (a LFS) on Sunday they suggested a canister. Whatever I go with I will include a sponge filter because most people seem to think that having one is worthwhile. I’m not sure what lights I’ll be using either. That is something that I need to think about as well.

As I said before, I’m looking at purchasing 15 or so smaller discuss and then at certain points along the way getting rid of some. I wan’t to end up with 6-8 discus. zhuls1 has suggested that I use Gold Coast Discus who import Na Discus fish, and has also confirmed that Aquatico Aquariums import Forrest Discus. As I said on another thread, I like Forrest because everyone seems to love Kenny’s discus and I believe his discus are Forrest, but just because they are from the same source doesn’t mean they are the same quality. I will have to think about this a bit more. Both have new shipments combing in in the next month or so I believe so I should probably make up my mind soon. I won’t be having any other fish with them.

I’m looking at feeding 5-6 small meals a day while they are young. That seems to be what most people suggest on the forum. I will have to get an automatic feeder for when I am at work and can’t feed them. I’m thinking pellets, some flakes, brine shrimp and beef heart.

My goals for this hobby are really just to successfully grow out some discus that I can be proud of. I’m sure down the track I’ll want to breed a pair but that can be the 5-10 year plan. For now I’m just keen to learn and enjoy having discus.

If you have any words of wisdom or advice I would greatly appreciate it.
    Cheers,

Jimmy

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Let’s start at the beginning...

Hi and welcome to discus Jimmy .
    It seems to me that you have diligently done your homework on discus before you take the plunge and you are ready to suceffully grow them out .
    For filtration most of us use canister , Hob or sump filters .Sponge is good as a prefilter to your filter intake to keep your filter materials clean of dirt .

Good luck with your choice Jimmy and don't hesitate to ask anything about your future discus plans .

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Hi and welcome to discus Jimmy .
    It seems to me that you have diligently done your homework on discus before you take the plunge and you are ready to suceffully grow them out .
    For filtration most of us use canister , Hob or sump filters .Sponge is good as a prefilter to your filter intake to keep your filter materials clean of dirt .

Good luck with your choice Jimmy and don't hesitate to ask anything about your future discus plans .
    I agree. Nothing stands out as incorrect and your plan of approach seems sound.

If I were you, id complicate things LESS by only getting 2 sponge filters. Either stack them or one in each corner and you are done with filtration.

Add a heater and now you are set for discus. You would have to test your water parameters to see if they are stable or not. 50% daily is a great starting point Imho.

If you can get discus from Forrest, I would highly recommend going that route. Good luck!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

What he (Filip) said!
    First of all a big welcome!
    You seem to have done your homework. I did the same before taking the plunge whith discus making the most of the advice of this forum. I am 4 months in and KISS seems to be working. You are right to search for good quality fish from reputable breeders/retailers - hopefully Two Utes can give you some local guidance. I would go for the larger tank, all the other bits can be upgraded a bit at a time but the tank can't be stretched! I am growing out 13 juvies in a BB 100 gal, so far doing 50-75% changes every day (+ syphon and glass wipedown) and probably because of that the filtration although puny (a fluval 206 with a large sponge in the tank intake as prefilter) seems to be doing the job. It will probably be upgraded as they grow and w.c. will be diminished. Talking about water changes, as it is going to be a daily chore I strongly suggest thinking what is going to be the most practical way for you to drain the water from the tank, age/heat the new water and how to put it back in. The slicker the system the happier you and the fish are going to be! Another bit of kit that deserves a bit of thinking is the heater. As these fish like to be kept toasty it requires something reliable and up to the job (also considering it may be necessary to increase the temperature even further in some instances), I have opted for an inkbird 308 temperature controller and a Schego titanium heater and would recomend the combo but don't know if it is availabe in Aus. Anyways keep posting on this forum what your plans are and let's see what the more experienced discus keepers advise. Ciao
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 01-08-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks for the Welcome rickztahone, Filip and Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I agree. Nothing stands out as incorrect and your plan of approach seems sound.

If I were you, id complicate things LESS by only getting 2 sponge filters. Either stack them or one in each corner and you are done with filtration.

Add a heater and now you are set for discus. You would have to test your water parameters to see if they are stable or not. 50% daily is a great starting point Imho.

If you can get discus from Forrest, I would highly recommend going that route. Good luck!
    So you think all I would need is 2 sponge filters and nothing else? I hadn’t thought of that, I figured I would need a canister or sump of some description to make sure the water was clean enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Another bit of kit that deserves a bit of thinking is the heater. As these fish like to be kept toasty it requires something reliable and up to the job (also considering it may be necessary to increase the temperature even further in some instances), I have opted for an inkbird 308 temperature controller and a Schego titanium heater and would recomend the combo but don't know if it is availabe in Aus. Anyways keep posting on this forum what your plans are and let's see what the more experienced discus keepers advise. Ciao
    I will have to find out if that particular brand is available here. It is something I’ve been trying to research so will have to keep looking at what other people use to get ideas. That’s what is great about the forum, you can come and learn from everyone.

If anyone has any suggestions on particular brands heaters/filters I am all ears. I just want to have the fish in as healthy and happy state as possible.
    Cheers,

Jimmy

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

It looks like you are on the right track Jimmy. As Paul suggested go for the larger tank. Depending at what size you plan to buy your juveniles, go for as many as possible. I found that starting with a larger group made them more secure in the tank. The key is to thin the group down once they start growing and end up with your final 8 as i have done, and ending up with the best from the bunch.

One of the main factors is starting with good quality fish, which i have found made my experience enjoyable. As a matter of interest im running an Eheim 2217 canister filter for my 75 gl tank and has served me well, but a couple of sponge filters will also do the job at much less expense.

As far as food goes, try to include beef heart and freeze dried black worms which Mal sells locally...its the same product that is being sold by Al the owner of SD.

http://www.blackworms.com.au/default.asp

We are very luck in Melbourne to have water which is perfect for keeping discus and 50% daily water changes will see your group do well, though you can get away with much less if need be.
    If you would like to come see my set up you are most welcomed to. I know it can be a little daunting at the start, but we all had to start somewhere.

Keep researching and go in as best prepared as possible.

Good luck.

Joe
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Zac

Hey Jimmy, if you are doing your waterchanges and frequently cleaning out the filters a sponge filter should work fine. Other filters such as a canister filter you can get away with cleaning less often than sponge filters, however they are a lot more of a hassle when you do clean them. IMO, a sponge is a good choice because if you are cleaning a filter regularly, that is gunk that has been removed from your tank before it breaks down. For this reason, if possible, I believe a sponge getting cleaned out maybe 2 times a week is better than a canister cleaned out once a month. In my experience in fishkeeping, I have found that removing waste before it breaks down as being the most important thing in regards to maintaining water quality. I do not like canisters, for the reason that I mentioned before in addition to the fact that being harder to clean may lead to procrastination, however thats just my opinion. I would not say the fish aquatico get from forrest are bad, I am just probably a bit too fussy with the quality of my fish.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    From my limited experience I'd say this suggestion is very wise indeed. Remember, every surface area has to be periodically wiped clean (inside tank walls, filters, tubes, tank decor), especially with younger Discus. This required maintenance can be more difficult when you have very small or hard to reach pipes or tubing. Simple is best, especially true with young fish.

Real Name
    Phil

You are getting very sound advice! Also kudos to you for all your homework!

I’d take Mr utes up on that offer. You’ve seen his beasts and methods. You have a world champ at your disposal go learn!

I know you guys are in the same area and all but I’d still do a simple 24 aged water test and make sure all checks out. You don’t want to assume and have an issue. That’s my only suggestion.

I’m also not a fan of canisters and I’d go the sponge route or one sponge and a simple hang on back.

Registered Member

Hi everyone, thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. I’m on days off after night shift so trying to as many aquarium shops as possible to check out prices and the like.

I’ve been to Coburg Aquarium this morning. Only problem is I go in and I see all this awesome stuff and start to get overloaded with options lol. I need to make a list of things and then stick with the plan. Don’t go the upsell and don’t look at items not on the list.

As to coming over to check out your setup Joe, I’m very keen, we will have to organise a time that works for both of us. Thanks again everyone, I’m very grateful for all the advice.
    Cheers,

Jimmy

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBanks View Post
    Hi everyone, thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. I’m on days off after night shift so trying to as many aquarium shops as possible to check out prices and the like.

I’ve been to Coburg Aquarium this morning. Only problem is I go in and I see all this awesome stuff and start to get overloaded with options lol. I need to make a list of things and then stick with the plan. Don’t go the upsell and don’t look at items not on the list.

As to coming over to check out your setup Joe, I’m very keen, we will have to organise a time that works for both of us. Thanks again everyone, I’m very grateful for all the advice.
    If I were you, I'd be keen to cling off Joe for your trainer wheels and soon enough you will be riding like a pro on your own. He's a good resource

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBanks View Post

Hey Jimmy. Just got back into this myself after a 7 year break. But never really done the Discus thing more community tank. Any way try these guys if you have not already come across them yet. Not bad pricing either.

Aquatico Aquarium Maidstone

Oakleigh Aqurium Warrigal Rd

New Life Aquariums Richmond

Cheers