AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible HITH

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Possible HITH

How much longer do you have on the Spirohexol? I do not think Epsom salts will affect the Spirohexol but I do not know for sure.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nica Alexandru Florian

2 more days and 3 If I extend it to the 8th. It says on the label to not interfere with other meds, that's why I'm asking

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I found this below at this link https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detai...us-250#details...

About 90 % of all fish diseases can be put down to a weakening of the fish’s immune system. This means the application of remedies can fight the pathogen but doesn’t generally eliminate the cause. It is therefore very important to determine the cause.
    As soon as the first signs of disease become noticeable IMMEDIATE action is required. In most cases people wait too long.
    Hole-in-the-head disease/ spironucleus/ hexamita/ flagellates/ protoopalina:
    The hole-in-the-head disease is caused by flagellates of the genus spironucleus or protoopalina. Under specific conditions, which have not yet been clearly defined, there is a mass reproduction of the flagellates which live in the fish’s intestine. They compete with the fish for mineral nourishment until the fish suffers from a mineral deficiency. In response to this deficiency the fish extracts minerals from its own bone tissue. Because the fish’s head has the largest bone substance, it is particularly here that it comes to a massive bone reduction which is visible as holes. The flagellates meanwhile move to the nearest body surface. Because the hole walls are the nearest body surface you can find the flagellates at the bottom of the holes. The flagellates used to be held wholly responsible for this disease. The truth of the matter, however, is that it is a combination of mineral deficiency and the massive reproduction of flagellates which leads to the hole formation. Tapeworms, roundworms, fish tuberculosis and malnutrition can equally lead to hole formation. Remedy: Increase by adding JBL Aquadur the mineral content of the water. So far occurrence of the hole-in-the-head disease has only been observed in very soft water.
    Now combat the flagellates by adding JBL Spirohexol Plus 250.
    So I bet the active ingredient is metro which you can mix with epsom salt. Note that epsom salt will provide a mineral source.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Packaging lists the active ingredient as "2-amino-5-nitrothiazole." Never heard of it.

If the fish doesn't mind being picked up, try dabbing the spot with a Q-tip and peroxide. Won't remedy the cause, but it will help the wound heal.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nica Alexandru Florian

@Pat - yes, I read that couple days ago. I didn't knew epsom salt has minerals. Good to know.
    @Adam I am doing that, he doesn't mind being picked, I treat it with careful. But I'm not using "peroxide", I'm using Asocilin, which should do the same thing.

I will extend the treatment to the 8th days, so I'm sure I did everything by the book with Spirohexol. Then, I will move him back with his female and start making a home made mixture and adding vitamins.

If I am to use epsom salt, should it affect in any way the female? If I remember correctly, there was quite a lot quantity of salt used.

PS: what I'm really scared of this spirohexol treatment, is that it doesn't specify if you should do changes of water during these 7-8 days. As far as I know, you don't and I hope it does't affect him.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nica Alexandru Florian

Updates: He's back with his female in the tank guys. He is doing fine, not heavily eating, but he doesn't seem to be stressed or something like that. Honestly, the hole starts to shrink little by little.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandru Florian View Post
    Updates: He's back with his female in the tank guys. He is doing fine, not heavily eating, but he doesn't seem to be stressed or something like that. Honestly, the hole starts to shrink little by little.
    Glad the fish in on the mend.That medicine,Asocilin, is probably a penicillin type antibiotic. I'm surprised its working though as they usually aren't that effective these days. But if it is, thats a really interesting observation. That Hole you have is typical of what happens to a discus when the pits on the face get infected. This happens with poor water quality often and as you noted often starts a pimples or small white pockets...These rupture leaving a whole that usually closes on its own but can leave a scar.. Adams suggestion for swabbing with Hydrogen Peroxide is a good course of action if this hole does not continue to heal or starts looking worse. Keep up the good tank hygiene please do keep us posted.

good luck!
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nica Alexandru Florian

Hello again guys! The previous wound seems to be healing. He is back with the female for a couple weeks now. They've laid again for like 4 times.

Problem is, another hole has appeared. This is significantly smaller. I wonder what should I do.. move him again separate and treat it again? or just leave it there with the female.

Since 2 days, I'm starting to add vitamins on the discus mixture. After I moved him back with the female, I home-made my mixture discus food, in which I also added vitamins. He is a heavy eater and comes in front every time with the female.

What do you think?

PS: I'll get some epsom salt and try it out. See if it fastening the healing process. I'll also buy in like 2-3 days an osmozor to make better quality water. Nothing is hatching from those eggs.. I have 8 GH, I think its impossible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12