ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus in the USA?

Registered Member

Default Discus in the USA?

How come there is not a major discus breeder/grower/distributor in the US like there is Germany or Asia? I know there are a lot of smaller discus breeders and shops, but not a large corporate operation based in the U.S. that breeds/grows its own fish instead of importing them. Why is that? Is it not profitable to grow breed/grow/distribute discus on a massive scale in the U.S.? I would think shipping costs alone from Europe and Asia would make the math favorable for a discus enterprise based in the U.S.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Discus in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by CammieTime View Post
    How come there is not a major discus breeder/grower/distributor in the US like there is Germany or Asia? I know there are a lot of smaller discus breeders and shops, but not a large corporate operation based in the U.S. that breeds/grows its own fish instead of importing them. Why is that? Is it not profitable to grow breed/grow/distribute discus on a massive scale in the U.S.? I would think shipping costs alone from Europe and Asia would make the math favorable for a discus enterprise based in the U.S.
    US cannot compete against foreign breeders that spend far less on resources to grow discus out. That is including the international shipping

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    US cannot compete against foreign breeders that spend far less on resources to grow discus out.
    I'm not following. It can't possibly be more more cost effective to raise discus in Germany than the U.S.

Real Name
    Kevin

I'm currently running 6 tanks that are strictly dedicated to breeding/ growing out discus. Each tank has its own heater, sponge filter, breeding cone, etc. The lights and especially the heaters are killer on the electric bill, especially during the winter months when the heaters seem to never cycle off. The breeding tanks get 100% water changes daily and the grow outs get 200%, This equates to a lot of water going down the drain and in my situation I have to pay for water coming in plus the water going down the drain. The water also has to be stored and heated before I distribute to the individual tanks which adds even more electricity being used. The water also has to be treated for chloramines which equates to massive amounts of expensive water conditioners.

I also run a reverse osmosis system which produces a lot of waste water which I'm paying for once again. Add on top of all this, air pumps, brine shrimp, massive amounts of food, and cleaning supplies, the costs become sky high on my monthly bills.

Real Name
    Ralph

I'm not following. It can't possibly be more more cost effective to raise discus in Germany than the U.S.
    Discus popularity was introduced into North American homes I assume back in the mid 1960's. Simply answer is "It would have been done already" There have been larger scale Breeders / Growers / Sellers facilities in North America but no where near the facilities of those in Germany and Asia.

I'm sure the various Simply Sponsors in the US who's business is to solely distribute Discus rely on a specific time frame to empty tanks or it would not be cost effective to remain in operation.

...Ralph
    Last edited by Altum Nut; 01-11-2018 at 12:25 AM.
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Mauro

I don't know about breeders, but the three main exporters of wild discus in Brazil are able to cut costs due to climate and availability of resources. When I visited WB Sabby facilities in a remote area, Japanese owners Yamamoto and Kamoshida explained that perfect soft water came from a well in the property. So no water bills. The property was also in an area with temperate weather throughout the year, so no need for heaters. I did not ask, but land must be much cheaper there, especially when they started their business. Finally, labor is of course (and unfortunately) much cheaper. I assume conditions are similar in Asia. But I agree with CammieTime. All this does not explain Germany. It might be that Ralph is right, that they took the market by being the first. But the evolution of German breeders deserves a good study.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Take a look how Malaysians run their operations.... typically free water that HAPPENS to be perfect breeding water for discus. It's so humid they don't need heaters. They do not run lights. Doing constant water changes doesn't cost them anything.

How do you compete with that when all they are spending money on is food and labor? And labor may not be that expensive either considering how much they sell internationally and volume output

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

What is of interest, as DiscusBR points out, is Germany's success. Malaysia's success with discus is completely understandable due their perfect environmental conditions and, I'm assuming, low labor costs compared to the US. But, somehow, Germany has been able to overcome these higher costs (energy and labor) by offsetting this expense through other methods. What are those methods?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

You can read about the Stendker hatchery here.

http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/p...presse/7_1.pdf

I read someplace that they use a continuous drip WC, 10% per day, and that the nitrate in the tanks is what we would consider high.