ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Buying "breeding pairs" for my community tank

Real Name
    Heidi

Default Buying "breeding pairs" for my community tank

Do you think it's ok to purchase 1-3 breeding pairs of discus and put them in a 200 gallon community tank with other discus? I've been looking at the Stendker discus from Discus Hans and they are so beautiful! Discus Hans appears to post pictures/video of the actual discus so you know *exactly* what you're getting.

Last time I purchased 6 adult discus (all different colors) 2 sets paired off even though I didn't want babies so I had to deal with the whole mating thing anyways.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-11-2018 at 11:41 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Buying "breeding pairs" for my community tank

There's no real reason to buy breeding pairs if your not going to breed them. Besides, breeding pairs will be territorial and fight with each other and the non paired discus in the tank.
    You're also going to pay a premium for pairs. I would just stick to buying individual adult discus. They are less expensive to collect that way.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    There's no real reason to buy breeding pairs if your not going to breed them. Besides, breeding pairs will be territorial and fight with each other and the non paired discus in the tank.
    You're also going to pay a premium for pairs. I would just stick to buying individual adult discus. They are less expensive to collect that way.
    Thank you Steve.

If there is a particular strain you like then ask Hans to take a pic or quick vid of his 5" 6" of that strain. See one in particular that you like then ask him for that discus. Hans is a great guy to deal with. He recently posted a lot of his 5" tanks on facebook. Beautiful fish.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    If there is a particular strain you like then ask Hans to take a pic or quick vid of his 5" 6" of that strain. See one in particular that you like then ask him for that discus. Hans is a great guy to deal with. He recently posted a lot of his 5" tanks on facebook. Beautiful fish.
    Thank you Larry.