AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: EXPENSIVE Lesson learned

Real Name
    Heidi

Default EXPENSIVE Lesson learned

I paid approx. $2500.00 for 2-3 discus. How is that possible?

Well, I started with 3 discus. I bought 12 more discus in December. I was supposed to have 15 gorgeous discus but I had to cull half of the discus I purchased because they were not like the picture, they were low quality. My 3 discus died due to improper quarantine (QT pump failure resulted in me being forced to put the new discus in the tank with my 3 discus).

I ended up with 6 discus but my 3 died so it's as if I paid $2500 for 3 discus - one of which isn't even like the picture so technically I paid $2500.00 for 2 discus.

This is what happens when you don't purchase from a reputable breeder and don't QT.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-12-2018 at 12:56 AM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Re: EXPENSIVE Lesson learned

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    This is what happens when you don't purchase from a reputable breeder and don't QT.
    Reputable breeder and QT are necessary, but IMO to get the select grade Discus we are personally satisfied with, I see hand-picking as the only guaranteed way to achieve this. I spent US$ 7,300.00 on the 43 Discus I've received since I started due to freight & import duty fees I also have to pay.

Currently have just six Discus from all this. I would have loved to keep one or two individuals from each of my orders, but I was dissatisfied with the vast majority of what I received even though most would consider them 'high quality Discus'. I realized pretty late in the game that there was no way I was going to get fish I was satisfied with, no matter how much time I spent corresponding with the supplier or how much money I offered them.

Heidi, if you're anything like me then I would suggest making the extra effort to personally hand-pick.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 01-12-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    Reputable breeder and QT are necessary, but IMO to get the select grade Discus we are personally satisfied with, I see hand-picking as the only guaranteed way to achieve this. I spent US$ 7,300.00 on the 43 Discus I've received since I started due to freight & import duty fees I also have to pay.

Currently have just six Discus from all this. I would have loved to keep one or two individuals from each of my orders, but I was dissatisfied with the vast majority of what I received even though most would consider them 'high quality Discus'. I realized pretty late in the game that there was no way I was going to get fish I was satisfied with, no matter how much time I spent corresponding with the supplier or how much money I offered them.

Heidi, if you're anything like me then I would suggest making the extra effort to personally hand-pick.
    That's terrible. I agree that hand picking is best. At the very least seeing the picture/video of the actual fish before you pay.

These are the 6 I have left after the whole ordeal. They are the best of the lot, not too bad. I still look at other people's discus and want mine to look more like theirs. I wonder if these 6 will grow more and beef up. I'm feeding 5xs a day now, 80% w/c every day and filter socks changed out every day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-12-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

You must QT. Hand picking is not a guarantee. I've hand picked discus and ended up losing a lot more without QT.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    You must QT. Hand picking is not a guarantee. I've hand picked discus and ended up losing a lot more without QT.

Willie
    I agree. I'm clearing out the basement right now. I have to save for a 100 gallon acrylic aquarium and fluval. My 2 hydors went out and hubby says the 150 gallon stock tank is too big to fit down the basement. My husband's going to plumb a fresh water line so I have water and ability to drain into the basement catch basin that pumps water out through the sewer. We should have everything setup within 1 month then I will have a year round indoor quarantine for any new fish I get.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-12-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    That's terrible. I agree that hand picking is best. At the very least seeing the picture/video of the actual fish before you pay.

These are the 6 I have left after the whole ordeal. They are the best of the lot, not too bad. I still look at other people's discus and want mine to look more like theirs. I wonder if these 6 will grow more and beef up. I'm feeding 5xs a day now, 80% w/c every day and filter socks changed out every day.
    These are really nice Heidi, great shape and color. As Willie said, QT is necessary or it's just an exercise in frustration.

Real Name
    Heidi

Thank you Kenny. I agree with both you and Willie. No more new fish until my QT is setup.