ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Three of my new Wilds!!!!

Registered Member

Default Three of my new Wilds!!!!

This is a male Inanu, my biggest guy in the tank...

Registered Member

Default Re:Three of my new Wilds!!!!

And this is the largest female...she is from Novo Ohhhhhlinda!!!!

Registered Member

and, this is a smaller male curipera!!!!!!!!!!

Registered Member

I have some Madiera, and some new Mari Mari...its been a great week with them.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Nice pictures Tristan. I see you've joined the select group of curipera owners. Where did you purchase they guys?

Registered Member

Thank you. I love my domestics, but I'm affraid its wild all the way for me...

I got them from Oliver, www.belowwater.com. Went up to Montreal last weekend and drove them home in the back of my car. Nice visit, gorgeous fish he has...

'Inanu' ???
    do you mean Unini?

Nova Olinda is a town not a river or lake. It was a kind of trade name used, as far as I know, only by Aquarium Corydorus in Manaus ( one of my suppliers)

What makes you say that fish is a male?

What varieties do you think they are? Red or Brown or Blue or Green or Heckel or what?

thanks
    DW

Tristan: Very outstanding fish. Good shape and healthy. Not much damage from the Paranhas neither. It seems like they are just out of the bag and already show such color. Will the Inanu turn red? ??? He looks like my Rio Semaj. Your male Curipera will be a nice red fish with lots of white markings. The Nova Olinda already have red stripes showing. They will be a super fish. Glad you join the group. I'll get some colorful frogs for my next visit.
    Jimmy.

Registered Member

Beautiful fish Tristanyyz:

They will all color up greatly with every day that passes. My 3 Curipera did so until very red, although they are currently being hoteled at Al's in Connecticut.
    In my opinion, and despite real or made-up location names, they are all "Blue discus", and the Inanu is a nice royal blue.
    Would love to hear opinnions from knowledgeable people.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.
    Cheers, Francisco.

Registered Member

THANK YOU JIMMY

I think the Inanu will get more intense, they have only been in my tank since this past Friday, not even a week...and they are looking fantastic.

Yes, i am very happy with my smaller male too, he is looking reallly great. You know i notice that the curipera male is getting more and more red from above his eye, where his light markings are, and on his fins, and slowly i think its moving in towards his body.

I have another curipera, who is very healthy, but she looks a little ragged right now, her scales are in a more spiral pattern than all my other fish. This is producing a "mulchy" look right now. But I think she will smoothe out. She gets more solid red every day.

Thats it for me...Wild is the way to go. I find the domestics in my tank, even tho i love them, too bright! I like the more subtle tones of wilds. They look better in the background of plants and wood! I have some 4 inch Mari Mari aswell that will already let me cup them in my hand!

Do you have a picture of your Rio Semaj?

I was looking at the frogs too, thinking i would like to get some. He had a spotted blue one that was amazing, and also tiny tiny bright reds aswell. Thanks Jimmy for your support!

Registered Member

Thank you Francisco,

My reading on Discus has been regretably limited. Although i have heard that some history books have been known to make errors when it comes to location either due to the desire to protect the true location of the fish, or due to the fact that many authors of these books have never been to the Amazon.

This being the case, all arguments from myself will be withheld until i go there!

Do you have pictures of your curipera? How old do you think they are?

Tristan: Here is the pic of the Rio Semaj from Nhamunda district near Uraru. Never been there myself and can't find that river on the map neither
    Jimmy.

[quote author=JimmyL link=board=1;threadid=9652;start=0#100700 date=1053012108]
    Tristan: Here is the pic of the Rio Semaj from Nhamunda district near Uraru. Never been there myself and can't find that river on the map neither
    Jimmy.
    [/quote]

Nhamundha is a major tributary known for colorful discus of all varieties, Unini is a trib of that known for nice blue face heckels & their crosses...as for the others.....maybe you can;t find them because they are not generaly accepted river names.?

The top fish is a nice Royal green IMO, not a Blue as it shows the complete bar around the body , through the tail & the eye, which is more typical of greens, blues will only show like that if they are in trouble IME, not that it matters as it is a very nice fish. Likewise the others, which IMO are Browns that show some red & are decent enough.
    Blues generally have a much lighter base color.
    I am very curious about why you think they are males , please explain that to me.

D

Registered Member

The top one does not look like a green to me, despite the dark cincumference. I am of course not an expert. Would be great to have more opinnions.
    Cheers and thanks for sharing, Francisco.

JimmyL: That's an awesome fish !!!

I'm with David Webber, the top fish is definately a green, second one I'd say brown or brown/heckel cross, no clue on the last one.

very nice tristan, they should look fantastic once you get some weight on them.

Jimmy's fish is unreal, I love it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast