ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stressed fish questions

Real Name
    Heidi

Default Re: Stressed fish questions

One of my platinum albino babies died. The best one of the bunch, of coarse. Not sure why he died when he looked perfect. What disease attacks a fish and kills them without being visible?

Incidentally, at the exact moment I was holding him a blue jay slammed into the double French door next to the tank -BAM! landed on the ground then flew off. Maybe he thought he could catch a fish? I've never seen or heard a bird do that before. The fish had zero reaction. It didn't appear to startle them at all. I'm going to cover the tank on that side for now. They don't need that stress on top of everything else.

Real Name
    Heidi

I just added Metronidazole to the tank. The babies seem to have gotten over their equilibrium problems but they still have clamped fins. They are eating. I will post again in 1 week with an update. By then they should all be better or dead.

Real Name
    Heidi

I still have wacky sideways swimmers. This links below says it's swim bladder disease and recommend treating Discus with Epsom salt and metro. After reading the second article (I'm not a vet) but it sounds like my platinum died of swim bladder disease that had progressed to a point where it couldn't swim right. He got stuck on the top of a pump near the water line in my aquarium and exposed to air that killed him.

Treatment- Hospital tank temp 86F, Airstone on
    Epsom Salt (1Tablespoon/10gal)
    Metrogyl/ Metronidazol (Commonly sold under the brand name Flagyl)....Use 30ml per10gal........

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...2130555AAw3dKe

I also read this good article on swim bladder disease. Stress can cause it.

https://www.petcha.com/what-is-swim-...is-it-treated/
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-13-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Real Name
    Heidi

I highly recommend to anybody that visits this forum to please check out alternate resources for treating your fish if it gets sick. Not looking outside this forum for advise was a mistake.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-13-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    I highly recommend to anybody that visits this forum to please check out alternate resources for treating your fish if it gets sick. Not looking outside this forum for advise was a mistake.
    Heidi, you are free to seek advice from where ever you like but please do not blame the forum for your issues. Honestly you are all over the place with your fish. No QT and adding fish from multiple sources can be a recipe for disaster. It is very hard to follow you across multiple threads. I would really suggest you slow down and put all the information in one thread like a disease thread.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Heidi, you are free to seek advice from where ever you like but please do not blame the forum for your issues. Honestly you are all over the place with your fish. No QT and adding fish from multiple sources can be a recipe for disaster. It is very hard to follow you across multiple threads. I would really suggest you slow down and put all the information in one thread like a disease thread.
    Pat
    +1

Real Name
    Heidi

Pat
    Hi Pat. I'm sorry that I didn't place my thread in the correct place. You are right, a disease thread would be better.

I am a bit sad that swim bladder disease is common and swimming erratically (upside down and sideways), loss of balance is the main symptom but no one responded. I did a simple search on google and found the info I needed. Once I knew the name of what my discus have I was able to look it up and find a wealth of info.

I'm not blaming the forum. You and the forum aren't obligated in any way to help me or anyone else. It was my fault for assuming people would chime in with observations or advise. I'm sure everyone here has a life and not always able to help or even want to. I'm just advising others to look outside the forum also.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-14-2018 at 01:51 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

There's gotta be a link between the sideway swimmers and the crashing bluejay.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    Hi Pat. I'm sorry that I didn't place my thread in the correct place. You are right, a disease thread would be better.

I am a bit sad that swim bladder disease is common and swimming erratically (upside down and sideways), loss of balance is the main symptom but no one responded. I did a simple search on google and found the info I needed. Once I knew the name of what my discus have I was able to look it up and find a wealth of info.

I'm not blaming the forum. You and the forum aren't obligated in any way to help me or anyone else. It was my fault for assuming people would chime in with observations or advise. I'm sure everyone here has a life and not always able to help or even want to. I'm just advising others to look outside the forum also.
    Hi Heidi, a disease thread does go in a specific forum http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...Emergency-Room but there is also a detailed questionnaire which goes with it http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete. I hope you found the source of the problems with your discus and things settle down for you.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mervin

Hi,I've been reading your threads also.The death sounds like it got spooked and crashed in the wall or top.Seems you have put them under a lot of stress since you had them.The discus that I have lost;most died this way.What makes you think you need to medicate?

Real Name
    Heidi

Hi Heidi, a disease thread does go in a specific forum http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...Emergency-Room but there is also a detailed questionnaire which goes with it http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete. I hope you found the source of the problems with your discus and things settle down for you.
    Pat
    Thank you Pat.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Hi,I've been reading your threads also.The death sounds like it got spooked and crashed in the wall or top.Seems you have put them under a lot of stress since you had them.The discus that I have lost;most died this way.What makes you think you need to medicate?
    I agree. I just thought they were stressed and would get over it. That's why I didn't put it in the disease forum. ( I didn't think it was a disease. They say swim bladder from stress or another cause is deadly and to use antibiotics.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by NEangler View Post
    There's gotta be a link between the sideway swimmers and the crashing bluejay.
    I agree.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I too keep mine at 29C/84F. 88F seems mighty high unless there is a reason, such as parassites, to treat with high temperature. The higher thetemperature the lower the desolved oxygen so that could be contributing to stressing the fish

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    I too keep mine at 29C/84F. 88F seems mighty high unless there is a reason, such as parassites, to treat with high temperature. The higher thetemperature the lower the desolved oxygen so that could be contributing to stressing the fish
    Thank you Paul. Good advise. I will do a large water change to remove most of the salt and lower the temp to 84.

Real Name
    Heidi

It's been a very hard day. I woke up to 2 dead babies. At noon before I left for work my beautiful big cockatoo discus died. The only 4 discus out of the 9 that had really good bodies died. RIP beautiful babies. I'm so sorry for all the things I didn't do right.

All day I've been thinking of getting out of discus. I didn't do anything right this time round. When I did everything right for over a year my 3 favorite discus died because my new sump leaked and my backup filter wasn't enough for them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast