ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stressed fish questions

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Stressed fish questions

I'm sorry for your loss Heidi .

We have all been in your shoes at some point of our discus keeping practice and I can relate to how devastated you feel right now .
    Maybe taking a couple of months off discus will clear your head about your further decesions .
    After that resting period , if you still can't get those round discs out of your head , you'll know you are ready for another challenge .

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Really sorry to hear about this Heidi. Most here have been in your shoes. I also know what this is like and I take it as a learning experience. Even when you do everything right with quarantine, etc., mishaps can still occur with water, filter, other odd incidents which result in dead fish. Even after proper quarantine deaths can still occur due to illness when mixing different fish.

I suppose the most sure way to succeed with your perfect fish is start with a fresh sterile environment (tank/filter), get all your fish at once from a reputable source, and personally hand-pick your fish to guarantee you get exactly what you want. As I mentioned, this last time around I sterilized my tank/filter to do a fresh start, ordered from a reputable supplier, but I wasn't able to hand-pick my fish. Only 5 of the 15 I received in that order were what I considered 'select grade' and what I was looking for. And it wasn't too long after that a water mishap occurred that resulted in some deaths.

This hobby can be difficult, especially when you're still learning and picky, like I have been.

Conclusion: don't take it too hard, this is normal for where you are right now.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 01-15-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss Heidi .

We have all been in your shoes at some point of our discus keeping practice and I can relate to how devastated you feel right now .
    Maybe taking a couple of months off discus will clear your head about your further decesions .
    After that resting period , if you still can't get those round discs out of your head , you'll know you are ready for another challenge .
    Thank you Filip. I think that's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    Really sorry to hear about this Heidi. Most here have been in your shoes. I also know what this is like and I take it as a learning experience. Even when you do everything right with quarantine, etc., mishaps can still occur with water, filter, other odd incidents which result in dead fish. Even after proper quarantine deaths can still occur due to illness when mixing different fish.

I suppose the most sure way to succeed with your perfect fish is start with a fresh sterile environment (tank/filter), get all your fish at once from a reputable source, and personally hand-pick your fish to guarantee you get exactly what you want. As I mentioned, this last time around I sterilized my tank/filter to do a fresh start, ordered from a reputable supplier, but I wasn't able to hand-pick my fish. Only 5 of the 15 I received in that order were what I considered 'select grade' and what I was looking for. And it wasn't too long after that a water mishap occurred that resulted in some deaths.

This hobby can be difficult, especially when you're still learning and picky, like I have been.

Conclusion: don't take it too hard, this is normal for where you are right now.
    Thank you Kenny. I really appreciate your kind words.

Real Name
    Heidi

My Survivors have been eating like pigs the last 2 days. The babies look rounder even when they clamp their fins down. Maybe filling out will help their shape improve. The tank has an almost eery sense of calm without the Geophagus and angels. Everyone is at peace, nobody fights. My husband calls the tank boring now lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Boring is good!!

Real Name
    Heidi

Thank you Kyla. I agree!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123