ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Can I reuse sponge filters from the TANK OF DEATH?

Registered Member

Default Can I reuse sponge filters from the TANK OF DEATH?

Last February I had a bacterial outbreak that wiped out my entire QT tank of 7 new fish from Hans. I had two Hydro V sponge filters in there, and an AC 70 on the back with a foam insert and bag of biomax pellets. Can any of this filter media be reused, or do I have to throw it all away because some of the deadly bacteria may still be present on it? The stuff has been sitting in the empty tank in my furnace room, so it is super dry...but I've heard bacteria can still survive that, in theory. I cleaned all this filter media thoroughly under tap water and dried it before storage, but nothing more than that.

Default Re: Can I reuse sponge filters from the TANK OF DEATH?

Sponges are cheap, fishes are expensive... Do you get my point? If there is no other option but to re use your filter media then tap water alone will not make it sterile. Use bleach (will destroy sponges) or microwave.

Discarding them will be my first option but I do not see any problem with proper sterilization.

Ditch the media, bleach the hardware.

Heck no! Why chance it!

Registered Member

I personally would not risk it. Sterilize all of the hardware that you can with a bleach water solution at least twice and let air dry for two to three days and replace or minor equipment like sponges and airline tubing. Dont take the risk.