AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Water Testing kits/ Digital

Registered Member

Default Water Testing kits/ Digital

Hello, I am new to this site and wanted to know if there was any digital meters that test all of the water parameters of an aquarium? What is the most effective cost wise, and what most people use. My goal is to create the best way to monitor and store data with the use of the newest technology. Thanks in advance...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Water Testing kits/ Digital

Hi Todd, sounds like you want an aquarium monitoring system which comes with specific probes. I would suggest checking out the monitoring systems used for reef tanks. It will not be a cheap solution. Many folks here use the API liquid tests for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. There is a separate API test kit for KH/GH. Some measure TDS also. I use the TDS probe which came with my RO unit.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

What's your budget? You can easily spend several thousand...

Registered Member

I've used API freshwater master kit for years. However, recently I got Seachem's Nitrite/Nitrate kit and it seems easier to read. That and you don't have to shake yourself to death. I also use the TDS meter that came with my RO/DI unit. And I have an O"haus ph meter. But I would recommend a Hannah ph meter with auto calibration. Mine takes too long to get a good reading.

Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your response, I also use a TDS meter and the kits. Just wanted to see if maybe something else came out.

For pH and ORP, I like Pinpoint. Those can matter a fair bit when dealing with certain fish, so it's good to invest into something you can count on. For TDS/EC, I just use one of the cheap stick readers. Not particularly important that it's 100% accurate, so a ballpark figure is good enough.

If you want all the automated gizmos and Wifi stuff, I know someone who has Apex stuff and loves it. I think it's a waste, but whatever makes the hobby enjoyable for you and your budget. Like Pat said, check out the reef forums if you want to get into the fancy computer stuff.

Registered Member

I have several pH and TDS meters, a YSI ProODO optical dissolved oxygen meter, two Hach DR/900s, two Hach DR/890s, one Hach DR/850, some single parameter Hach colorimeters, an API Master Test Kit. and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. I also have a Hach digital titrator for calcium and magnesium hardness.