AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Tank Water Advice

Registered Member

Default New Tank Water Advice

We have been growing out 10 small discus is a 55 gallon tank that we had divided. We have setup a new 55 to move them into, however the ph levels are WAY OFF. The old tank stays around 6.0. The new tank (finishing cycling) is at a ph of 7.2 or 7.4. What’s the best approach to level these ph differences so that we can move these growing discus?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

Default Re: New Tank Water Advice

What is the pH of your tap water? I

Registered Member

It’s 7.4 or 7.6. I’ve been taking water out of the new tank, replacing with water from old tank, then adding conditioned tap to old. It’s such a pain, but only thing I can do that I’m aware of that won’t cause a massive ph rise or fall off. I don’t really want to try adding peat. I’m always worried about what else may be in it.

Anyone successfully raised ph slowly with A&H baking soda?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Do you know the kH of your tap water and your tanks?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

I wouldn’t try and change your pH. Just make sure it is stable. The old tank is lower because of the fish respiration and biological activity. Going from soft to harder water is much less stressful to the fish. What is your water change regimen with the grow out tank?

Registered Member

We change about 20% everyday or every other day. When more is changed, the ph changes too quickly and the discus go into death respiration mode.

Registered Member

I have raised ph with egg shells in my tiliapa tank. You need to crack the eggs and take the shells and put them in the micro-wave for 30 sec. Then peel the membrane off and crush them up and place them in pantie hose in the pump. When the PH reaches where you need it you can take it out and add it back as needed. I can usually just take out some shells or add to make it work to where it can stay in..

Do you have stuff like wood and substrate in the tank? There's no way that the pH should be that far off in a bare tank unless your KH is negligible. Either way, trying to lower the pH of the new tank is not the way to go. I'd probably toss in a bag of crushed coral, wait for the pH to rise, move them and switch to a heavier water change regiment.

Real Name
    Mervin

I think you should age your water and do more frequent and 50% or greater WC's.20% WC in a 55 with that many discus would be hard to get the PH stable for more than a day if your don't have enough bicarbonates (KH) in your tap water.It will deplete rather quickly with metabolic wastes especially when you are over stocked.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 01-17-2018 at 09:14 AM.