ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Boy or girl?

Registered Member

Lightbulb Boy or girl?

Hi, so lets keep it short:
    We have bought a pair aka a couple of discus, one is female for sure as it has been laying eggs cca 6 times already but they never hatch as some of them turn white, get eaten etc. So here is my question: is the other one a boy or a girl? I havent seen it lay eggs or fertilize them and i cant tell by its appearance so I know there are many experts here who can tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Boy or girl?

If I were to take a shot in the dark,I'd say female.Most of my males when the were about a year old had streamers on their dorsal fins.Plus I can't see a male not to be tempted by a female that is ready and willing..The vent/breeding tube look different on the sex of fish.Sometimes you can't tell until you get wigglers.Just like humans some females appear masculine and vice versa.

Registered Member

Well no hatching again, the other one keeps laying eggs on the cone and then they turn white after a day or so and then no eggs.. sad...
    So all the water levels are fine as we exchange some water every day, ph is good, and i dont have any idea why nothing happens unless they are both girls

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

How old are the fish? Females mature sooner then males. My humble guess is the fish above is female. Next time your female lays eggs note the breeding tube. It should look somewhat thick with a square end. The male's tube is thinner with a pointy end.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Are these the only 2 discus you have?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    If I were to take a shot in the dark,I'd say female.Most of my males when the were about a year old had streamers on their dorsal fins.Plus I can't see a male not to be tempted by a female that is ready and willing..The vent/breeding tube look different on the sex of fish.Sometimes you can't tell until you get wigglers.Just like humans some females appear masculine and vice versa.
    Wether discus acquire streamers is genetic, some strains are more/ less likely to get streamers. Testosterone is what is responsible for the growth of streamers, so because males have higher testosterone levels than females, the males will have longer streamers. Just because a discus does have streamers doesn't definitively say whether it is female or male. Andrew Soh has a good method in his book , his method is to simply look underneath the discus, if its genitals are concave, it's a girl, if they are convex, its a boy. It's that easy.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Zac, I think you are referring to the vent. The actual breeding tube resides inside and is only visible prior and during spawning.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Zac

Hey Pat, no I was not referring to the breeding tubes. Do you have andrew Sohs book discus - the naked truth? If so, look on page 91, it has images to show the difference. His method is 100% accurate, worth having a look if your interested. The method can be used on any discus at least 5 months of age.

Real Name
    Zac

And I got it mixed up before, if its concave its a male, if it's convex, it's female.

Registered Member

Yes, we bought them as a couple and this is just their tank. We had discus before but never for breeding and they were with other fish (we have one more aquarium).

Registered Member

Will post more pics in a few hours and let you know how old they are .. eggs are here again...

Real Name
    Zac

Hey Layla, whilst I love your ambitions, to be entirely honest this discus is not of breeding quality. I would like to ask what your goals are as a breeder? Is it to make money, or simply for a bit of fun? Are you looking at producing the largest quantity or best quality of discus? I hope you have success as a breeder but I just feel that maybe your efforts would be better focused on a different pair.