AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pH Before and After RO-DI Installation

Default Re: pH Before and After RO-DI Installation

Just because of where I live and the apparently low amount of CO2 in the water DI costs for me are pretty low - plus I use the water for a reef too. If I am going to run the RO might as well drop the money on DI. $55 for 7.5 lb (to overfill 6 cartridges) lasts me at least 6 months and might even be longer now as I am slowing down my automatic water changes now that the fish are 6".

Real Name
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Hart24601 View Post
    Just because of where I live and the apparently low amount of CO2 in the water DI costs for me are pretty low - plus I use the water for a reef too. If I am going to run the RO might as well drop the money on DI. $55 for 7.5 lb (to overfill 6 cartridges) lasts me at least 6 months and might even be longer now as I am slowing down my automatic water changes now that the fish are 6".
    I'm envious.

Our CO2 is off the chart.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

There is a way around the CO2 if you wanted to take out ammonia or that last trace of nitrate. Set up an ageing barrel for the RO on a high stand or in the rafters. It has an airstone but no heater. After 12-24 hours the extra CO2 is gone, then open a valve and gravity flow through DI to a storage barrel. If the TDS of the RO is low the resin should last long enough that the cost doesn't outweigh the benefit by much. Its hard to find data on how well RO membranes remove ammonia, but years ago there was a simply member here (RandalB) who was a filter expert, who said that RO should remove around 70% of ammonia. This should be easy to verify, but I can't test it since I don't have chloramine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12