AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Stocking - all at once v gradual

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brett

Default Stocking - all at once v gradual

The advice here seems to strongly favor getting all your discus at once and from the same source as opposed to gradual stocking. I realize some of this is so they can school comfortably but cross contamination keeps coming up.
    Can someone clarify - say you start with 6 discus from the same source - quarantine 4-6 weeks, grow out if that applies and then move to the final home. Some time later you decide on 4 more from the same source again - quarantine etc. and then combine with the previous discus. Is that a problem?

2nd scenario would be the same but your 2nd order is from a different but reliable source. You quarantine properly, when size is appropriate you combine - is cross contamination still a concern? Thanks!

Default Re: Stocking - all at once v gradual

Why not get all 10 at once? By splitting it up like that, you need the space and time to quarantine twice and your fish have to establish the pecking order twice.

Quarantine reduces the risk of stress related illness. Most fish have parasites or other nasties that they can co-exist with because their immune system keeps them in check. When stuffed in a bag and thrown around on conveyor belts, their immune system weakens. It weakens even more when thrown into a new tank with an established pecking order. This opens them up to new nasties (your existing stock), and their existing nasties can multiply freely because the fish is weakened (infecting your existing stock). Quarantine gives them a time to recover: no bullies, no bright light, high water quality, good food and meds if needed.

Mixing fish is always going to be "cross-contamination," but the goal is to minimize the risk. 8 week qts minimizes the risk a lot.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brett

Good into thanks. The reason I would see for not stocking all at once is that if you're mixing strains you may not be able to get all the types you desire at one shot from the same source.

Real Name
    Filip

My preferred scenario is getting them all at once from one source and starting from zip in a new fishless tank .
    Buying adittional discus from the same breeder afterwards, greatly reduces the chances of cross contamination as opposed to buying discus from another source .
    1 month of a QT is preferred in both cases and puting a test discus from the display tank In the QT tank for a 2 weeks testing period gives you better chance to predict and plan the results of mixing the two groups .

Real Name
    Mervin

I am just curious how importers can mix from different breeders,then sell them mixed from those different hatcheries.Even some of the sponsors on here get them from different breeders and are mixed together.I do realize that most will QT a week or two before selling,but never the less they do come from different hatcheries.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 01-15-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I am just curious how importers can mix from different breeders,then sell them mixed from those different hatcheries.Even some of the sponsors on here get them from different breeders and are mixed together.I do realize that most will QT a week or two before selling,but never the less they do come from different hatcheries.
    I guess that they follow strict QT procedures and are equipped with enough experience and knowledge to quickly deal with potential issues and consequences of cross contamination .

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I guess that they follow strict QT procedures and are equipped with enough experience and knowledge to quickly deal with potential issues and consequences of cross contamination .
    That's a good guess.So,I guess they do have issues with cross contamination somewhere along the line.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    That's a good guess.So,I guess they do have issues with cross contamination somewhere along the line.
    I belive they do Mervin . Not only overcomed issues but losses too .