AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Is sudden water change ok for my discus

Registered Member

Default Is sudden water change ok for my discus

I currently keep my discus in tap water. All the water parameters are where they are supposed to be. I wanted to soften the water and make the pH lower from 7.5. I have discus buffer that I was thinking of using to have the fish more in their natural water parameters. In try to do so, I am worried that the fish will be ok with the sudden change. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Is sudden water change ok for my discus

Trying to spawn them? Most fish are pretty forgiving to changes in hardness and temperature.

That being said, "discus buffer" will not make your water softer, and lowering pH is a dangerous waste of time for most fish.

Real Name
    Willie

I would strongly recommend against using buffers or any other types of chemical treatment with discus. Water chemistry is extremely complex. Not getting it perfect every time means subjecting discus to changing water conditions. Discus, and no other fish for that matter, can thrive if water conditions vary. Your best bet is to rely on a stable water system, which is most likely the water coming out of the tap - subject to conditioning, etc.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

My discus live happily at a higher ph than yours, and I'd also like to chime in and reiterate that a stable ph is much more important than having a "low" ph to simulate their natural environment. 7.5ph is Just fine, so you are lucky your tap water is already great for keeping discus in, and I'd caution to avoid any ph +/- products all together

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

You are going to introduce more stress to your fish and yourself trying to change pH. You have stable tap water, go with it, your fish will love you for it. It makes the water changes much easier and your fish will thrive.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

plus going from a higher to lower ph in a short period of time causes ph (acid) burn to your fish's gills and scales.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

Reverse Osmosis is what you really need. Discus Buffer is not good for anything.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Retired Discus, making the water more acidic does not necessarily soften the water. If you wish to soften the water consider using a RO unit and adding RO water to your water change water. You will want to mix RO water with tap water in a large container (like a water safe brute container), age it and use that for your water changes.

Before doing this get a TDS meter and see what your TDS is. Also get the API GH/KH and measure your GH (General Hardness) as it is GH which determines the hardness (or softness) of your water. If you are trying to get your discus to spawn then you want to target a GH of about 70. Now ask yourself if all this is worth it. If breeding discus is your goal then maybe let them try in your tap water and see how it goes.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Like Pat said.............my Ph is around 7.8 but my GH and KH are both low. My TDS is around 60. Don't mess with your water unless these numbers are high for you and then maybe consider RO.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Some of us have tried and then rejected pH-adjusting chemicals after realizing that they don't make the water more natural. Between 6.3 and 8.3, pH is more a side-effect of softness than a special thing in itself, which is why we tend to think more in terms of GH or conductivity (TDS). Reverse osmosis takes stuff out of the water, making it closer to the water in the native habitat, while pH-altering products add stuff. RO is another expense and a bit of a chore, so unless you are breeding or keeping wild fish, or there is something unhealthy in your water, like nitrate, its generally not needed.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

I have seen some fluctuation in my PH and I believe it's due to my very low KH readings , 1-2 and I've heard this makes the PH somewhat unstable because there is no buffer.
    Whenever I do the water changes the PH rises a bit, (tap water is at 7.0-7.2), if I don't do water changes for a few days the PH will slowly decrease to 6.0-6.2. All I want is stability, how can I get it with such low KH in my tap. (GH is at 3). I really don't want to mess with discus buffer from seachem, I'd rather they get accustomed to my tap water but I want to regulate the tank PH. any suggestions....

THKS for your help!

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by petshannon View Post
    I have seen some fluctuation in my PH and I believe it's due to my very low KH readings , 1-2 and I've heard this makes the PH somewhat unstable because there is no buffer.
    Whenever I do the water changes the PH rises a bit, (tap water is at 7.0-7.2), if I don't do water changes for a few days the PH will slowly decrease to 6.0-6.2. All I want is stability, how can I get it with such low KH in my tap. (GH is at 3). I really don't want to mess with discus buffer from seachem, I'd rather they get accustomed to my tap water but I want to regulate the tank PH. any suggestions....

THKS for your help!
    Just raise your KH with baking soda on every WC or crushed coral in your filters and your PH will be more stable between waterchanges .