ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Water changes

Registered Member

Default Water changes

All be getting my discus on Saturday and just making sure am doing my water changes right . When I do a water change I have aged water in 5 gallon water jugs and add prime to the water in the jugs a hour before doing a water change . Then i syphon water out of tank and suck up old food and want not/clean glass and every week rinse out sponges and filter socks . And add aged water with prime back in to tank .

Default Re: Water changes

There's no reason to wait an hour for the Prime to work. Just add it to the tank before throwing in the new water, and you are good to go. Also don't have to wring your sponges that often, but that's a personal preference.

I'd recommend ditching the buckets and investing in a bigger container with a pump. Lifting buckets becomes a serious risk to your mental health as a fish keeper.

Cheap example of what you can put together:
    Container - 20 or 32 gallon Brute trash can, $23 or $25 at Home Depot
    Pump - $20 fountain pump on Amazon
    Tubing - 10' of 1/2" braided vinyl tubing, $15 at Home Depot
    Heater - not necessary, but use a cheap one if you want

Registered Member

Adam is correct, best $60 you will spend. How large is your aquarium?

Ron

When you say "rinse out sponges" that's with tank water right not tap water?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by btrader View Post
    When you say "rinse out sponges" that's with tank water right not tap water?
    Correct
    Ron

The chlorine in tap water will not kill all of your "bacteria." The bigger risk is over-cleaning your sponge and removing too much of the brown stuff. It's more than just bacteria living in their.

Registered Member

I took your guys advice and got a brute and a pump I should have done it a long time ago lol makes things much easier

Quote Originally Posted by Kfactor View Post
    I took your guys advice and got a brute and a pump I should have done it a long time ago lol makes things much easier
    Get a python (or build one for cheaper) to pull water out, this combined with the pump and brute can makes even huge water changes a breeze

Real Name
    Zac

Get a nice thick hose. I use a vinyl hose that is 1" in diameter. Also, make it long enough that it can go straight to the drain or backyard wherever you want the water to go. Your tank will drain really quickly than.

Registered Member

my Grow out is in my utility room. Everything already there.
    Supply water runs with a 1/4 rigid
    Tapping to humidifier supply and going to 30
    Gallon brut with float valve. Siphon runs to a 1/2 pvc floor
    Drain from furnace. Water from brut pumped into tank.
    Makes 25’gallon changes daily in a 30
    Gallon bare bottom 3-4 minutes tops.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

Adam,

I am new here and just looking for ideas - I will be setting up to do daily water changes and had planned on using 3 5 gallon buckets
    you mention using a trash can instead - would that not become pretty heavy to move around once filled with 15 gallons?

I am sorry to say my tank will be a flight of stairs away from a place to discard the old water.

just want to be sure I am not missing the big picture

Thanks

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pm9ljr View Post
    Adam,

I am new here and just looking for ideas - I will be setting up to do daily water changes and had planned on using 3 5 gallon buckets
    you mention using a trash can instead - would that not become pretty heavy to move around once filled with 15 gallons?

I am sorry to say my tank will be a flight of stairs away from a place to discard the old water.

Thanks
    Hi Lloyd,

Is the flight of steps going up or down from tank elevation? If down it is pretty easy to drain with a long hose. My longest hose here is 75 feet.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

the tank will be at the bottom of the stairs - I was planning on a daily siphon into the buckets cleaning the bottom

so I am guessing if I wanted to run the water up the stairs and out into the yard the siphon I bought would not do the trick. i am still in the planning stages so i am open to anything
    my target date for setting up is late July early August - after i retire i will have the time to do the fish justice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pm9ljr View Post
    Adam,

Thanks
    Hi Lloyd,

I was referring to using a trashcan to store new water for water changes. I siphon the tank water into a bathtub with 50ft of old garden hose. If you need to move the trashcan around (like my primitive RO setup), get one of these https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...0BLA/203207009.

Is there a bathroom downstairs where you can siphon the old water to? That's probably your best bet if so.