ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus in a round aquarium

Real Name
    Heidi

Default Discus in a round aquarium

I was doing a search on Craigslist and eBay for a 100 gal used acrylic tank within 200 miles of me to use for my QT setup. No luck but I did find what appears to be Prince's 700 gallon circular reef tank for sale: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-MADE...AAAOSwmRFaWrOZ

I wonder, what would a discus look like in a round tank? Would they look distorted like when you look at yourself in a hubcap? Does anyone have a bow front or circle tank? Does it distort the way discus look?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: Discus in a round aquarium

I had 110 gallon half cylinder with discus. Unfortunately, whenever I approached the tank they freaked. Apparently the shape of the tank magnified the size of anyone who moved towards the tank. Gave it away.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Fishquake View Post
    I had 110 gallon half cylinder with discus. Unfortunately, whenever I approached the tank they freaked. Apparently the shape of the tank magnified the size of anyone who moved towards the tank. Gave it away.
    Oh wow! I was considering getting a round tank because it would fit through my basement door better. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    Oh wow! I was considering getting a round tank because it would fit through my basement door better. Thank you so much for sharing this.
    Hi Heidi
    Was browsing the local Craigslist here in the bay area and there is a reef and koi store going out of business and has tanks for extremely cheap. Even has a 300 gallon with stand for $650!! Wow wish I had the space. Anyhow may be worth a drive and a stop to Kenny at the same time
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Hi Heidi
    Was browsing the local Craigslist here in the bay area and there is a reef and koi store going out of business and has tanks for extremely cheap. Even has a 300 gallon with stand for $650!! Wow wish I had the space. Anyhow may be worth a drive and a stop to Kenny at the same time
    Thank you Ryan! I wish I had money right now. I couldn't be more broke. this is my slow season. I won't have steady work until next month. I can afford a cheap 100 gallon in a week or 2 but I won't have the money for any discus.

Real Name
    Heidi

Hi Heidi
    Can you let me know the name of the fish store, please?

Here ya go. I am actually going there Saturday to pick up a stand. He has a lot of used display tanks listed. They say flexi glass so not sure if that means acrylic or what. He is pretty good about responding. Pretty sure he has lots of koi and pond stuff too

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/fod...433758333.html

Real Name
    Heidi

Here ya go. I am actually going there Saturday to pick up a stand. He has a lot of used display tanks listed. They say flexi glass so not sure if that means acrylic or what. He is pretty good about responding. Pretty sure he has lots of koi and pond stuff too

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/fod...433758333.html
    Thank you Ryan! Great deals! I wonder if "Flexiglass" is a typo? I looked it up and there's no such thing, at least not on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    Thank you Ryan! Great deals! I wonder if "Flexiglass" is a typo? I looked it up and there's no such thing, at least not on the internet.
    I saw some things but nothing solid. I sent him an email inquiring