AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: About to call it quits with one discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

Default About to call it quits with one discus

Thanks Simply members. I wanted to see if there are other ideas before I throw in the towel on this guy. He is special to me. He was shippped to me by a hobbyist breeder here with ten of his mates at just under 2 inches. The USPS played hackey sack with the box, and he was the only survivor --barely. He grew like a weed until he stopped eating.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    I have one 3" discus that started to face the back wall and not eat. I noticed white poo about 3 weeks ago, which in hindsight was probably stomach lining. All the other discus in the tank showed no signs. This fish's color was good. No new fish were introduced, no changes in diet, etc. He shed more stomach lining in the first few days of the increased dosage metro treatment. I believe this was probably due to not eating, and was what I mistook for Hex originally.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

No appetite, hiding, facing back of tank, will not shoal with other discus. Color is good, eyes are bright. Otherwise healthy looking.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Assuming Hex I dosed the tank with Metroplex for about a week (1/4 teaspoon per 40 G per label). During that week, I got pure Metro from AngelsPlus and did that treatment for 10 days. Since all the other fish were doing well and poop was dark, I moved this fish into a 20G hospital tank. I pumped the heater to 90 degrees and increased the dose of Metro to a 1/4 teaspoon per 20G). The ten day treatment ended today. No signs of improvement.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

Before Hospital, 55G Bare bottom with 4 6" fish.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    60-70% every other day in 55G, and 50% everyday in hospital, with a couple 95% in there.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    55G for about 8 months bare bottom. Hospital tank used a cycled sponge filter from a sump where I had completed a fishless cycle. Setup 10 days ago. Barebottom 20G

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    No. After aerating for 24 hrs it is at 6.6, out of tap at the same.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____82.5 prior 90 current

- ph _____ 6.6

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____barely pink on Seachem

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____X

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    Fish eat Prime Reef Flake 2x a day. FDBW 2x a day.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Last edited by LJSmith; 01-17-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

Default Re: About to call it quits with one discus

Should I try treating with Kanaplex or just euthanize with Clove Oil? I don’t want to watch him waste away, but also wa t to see if there is another treatment I should try.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

Thanks to the individual who PM’ed me.

Sorry for the Delay reply here Luke. Do you have some pictures you can post? Sometimes there really is nothing you can do for a fish thats wasting away. The causes can be many, but it sounds like you have tried your best on this one so far.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

I’ll post something. I am going with lots of warm, clean water for awhile. Give the guy a break from meds and see what happens. I’m too committed to give up, yet to humane to let him suffer. I’ll give him a week of TLC.
    Last edited by LJSmith; 01-19-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

Update -- Little guy is eating again. No meds, just lots of fresh and warm water (90). His fins are looking a little ratty. I'm hoping that clears up over time.

Quote Originally Posted by LJSmith View Post
    Update -- Little guy is eating again. No meds, just lots of fresh and warm water (90). His fins are looking a little ratty. I'm hoping that clears up over time.
    Awesome news Luke!, hope things continue to improve.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Glad to hear it!! I could not reply to this thread when it was posted, but now I can, perhaps I was approved in between and didn't know it? Either way glad to hear he is doing better!

Edit: Derp, the rules just changed.
    Last edited by Bizarro252; 01-23-2018 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro252 View Post
    Glad to hear it!! I could not reply to this thread when it was posted, but now I can, perhaps I was approved in between and didn't know it? Either way glad to hear he is doing better!

Edit: Derp, the rules just changed.
    Thanks for that.. Now at least I know the permission settings work outside my test account.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com