ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: fish becomign very lathargic very quickly

Silver Member

Default fish becomign very lathargic very quickly

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

5 adult fish, all over 2 years old.- Last week, 1 fish pooping white feces, pimple on 1 side. 2 days later second fish pooping white. both fish died a day apart. now the other 3 fish are not eating, swimming in 1 place together.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

First fish, pooping white, not eating, not active in tank . second fish – pooping white for 1 day. died the next day. now 2 other fish have pimples.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

treated with metro and kanaplex after seeing signs on the first fish. continuing to medicate with the remaining fish.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

72 gallon , 2 – 4 years old , 5 adults, 5 1/2 – 6 inch

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

60% every other day with aged water

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank is running 4 years, sand substrate, about 1 inch deep

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I age water for 48 hours. ph swing – ph of aged water 7.6 . ph of tank 7.2

8. Parameters and water source;
    Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __82, raised to 86 during treatment___

- ph ___7.2__

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __less than 5__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __yes__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Nothing new added for over 2 years

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

I feed Hans beef mix in the morning, FDBW and NLS pellets at night

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Silver Member

Default Re: fish becomign very lathargic very quickly

I am bumping this. I lost another fish last night and i am running out of things to try. please help.

thanks,
    jim

Hey Jim,
    Sorry to hear you are having issues here. Can you post some pics of the fish? How long were have you been treating with the metro and Kana and at what dose?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Silver Member

Hi Al,
    I have been treating with metro and kana for over a week, double the dosage for each, twice a day for metro, once a day for kana. this fish dies this morning. you can see the blemish just to the left and below its mouth.

Thanks

Capture.jpg

Jim,
    Looking at the pic...

Capture_al.jpg

Theres swelling in the stomach and the base of the fins are red, That plus the white feces, listless behavior and loss of appetite, it sounds like you have a serious internal infection going in the tank. Do the others have swollen abdomens?

Since you haven't added anything in 2 years the source is probably food that rotted in the tank and was ingested... One fish gets sick and starts passing that junk out and the others can as well. Is there any driftwood or structures for food to accumulate around or under? Any recent power outages or lapse in your normal maintenance?

The meds you are using are what I would normally suggest for this. The Metro should be dosed 500mgs to 750 mgs per 10 gal. The conventional 250 mgs is often not effective. The Kanaplex I have not used but from what I have read its not pure ( only.. kanamycin sulfate (32%)) so I would see if you can find pure, Try Jehmco.com or Angelsplus They carry Pure. I would also double check your filters for problems or gunk, and start treating the tank with Epsom salt at 1 tablespoon per 10 gals. That may help pass the junk out of them. try and vacuum up any white junk they pass .
    hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Silver Member

Al,
    the metro i use is from jehmco. the suggested dosage is 1/4 tsp per 41 gallons. i double that twice a day. the kana i used a suggested dosage from this site of 500 mgs per 10 gallons, which i believe is 1/2 tsp per day. i have a resin decor in the tank along with an air stone. i will remove the decor.. there have been no power outrages of any length and i still keep up with 60% wc with aged water every other day. but you bring up an interesting point about rotten food. i feed them frozen hans beef mix every morning.. i usually cut off any freezer burn and i don't notice any discoloration of the mix, but could this be a cause of rotten food, that it may have spoiled in the freezer? i have had it for about 3 months now. i feed your fdbw at night. i will start the epsom salt treatment tonight. i will order the kanamycin from jehmco today. i also do a monthly maintenance with the filers which is due around now. i will change out the filter pads tonight.

thanks,
    jim
    Last edited by jim LI; 01-22-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Jim,
    Beefheart mix is inherently messy and could be the cause if it managed to get hidden out of sight in the tank and Rot, same for any of the foods you feed really though. I don't think the Beef Mix you are storing in the freezer would go bad in that time frame, and freezer burn is more of a drying out that anything else. My best guess is something was able to spoil in the tank and someone ate it...or one of the discus had a problem, over fed? blocked up and the the food ingested rotted and they passed along a problem when they started passing white feces. Hard to tell, but sounds like you have a good plan to try and deal with it. Please keep us posted.

Good Luck!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com